Please help me: Using the Profiler with an ENGL Z12

• Hi

I'm using a Kemper head with OS 4.0.6. My footswitch is an ENGL Z12, which has 10 onboard channel buttons (0 - 9) + bank up and bank down.

Because the Z12 starts at 0, which I can't assign any settings to, I usually start one bank up, on midi program 10.

When I try to set my stuff up I connect my Z12, go into performance mode, and I press the button (midi program) that I want to set up a sound to. But it seems that the kemper automatically has 5 slot performances set up, and that they automatically use program 1-5, 6-10, 11-15 etc.

I guess that using performances this way could boost the keepers performance and make footswitching faster. But I find it very hard to program. First off, this way I can't name each slot. I can only name the performance. Also, I'm not sure this is related, but as I saved slot #15 and went back to #12, I found that #15 had replaced/overwritten #12. And when I had set the sound correctly on #12 again suddenly #13, #14 and #15 were ruined.

Not sure if I'm too stupid to use the kemper for live applications, if my Z12 is broken or if it's something else that's not working. But I want a super simple set up, really.

This is how I want to set up my footswitching / program changing:

Prg Preset / sound

10 Hi gain
    11 Med gain
    12 Overdrive
    13 Lead 1
    14 Lead 2
    15 Clean 1
    16 Clean 2
    17 Clean 3 w Delay
    18 Clean w tremolo
    19 Clean w Phaser

Preset 10-14 use a Diesel Profile – the same amp profile for all. Just different gain levels and stomps. Preset 15-19 all use the same Vibroking profile. Different stomps and delays etc.

Is there a way to make sure that a performance with 5 slots starts at a certain midi program? In my case, performance 3 could start at midi program #10 and performance 4 could start at midi program #15.

I'm not turning effects on or off during my sets. I use presets.

Maybe you could point me to a different midi board, at about the same price range that would suit me better?

• If I understand you right, you only need the 10 metioned sounds ? Maybe you give the browse mode a try. RTM: load rig -> press SYSEM -> Browse Mode PrgChg -> MIDI PrgChg# and assign the midi-number. (In performance-mode the numbers are fix: (#performance-1)*5 + (#Slot-1) )
    AFIR the 0-button on the z-12 sends "1" and so on.

I own a Z12 but as I play in a coverband making use of many sounds, I bought the remote...
    BTW: the Z12 doesnt brake ! :) But if something else is not working, you can name the 10 rigs in alphabetical order, make them favorites, and mask the other rigs. So I case somethng other brakes you change the rigs directly at the toaster.
    Hope this helps.

• Thanks Ole1!

I'll give that a shot. How do you mean that the 0 on the Z12 can send 1? I think I'm too young to handle midi. Old tech… :D

If I understand you right, you only need the 10 metioned sounds ? Maybe you give the browse mode a try. RTM: load rig -> press SYSEM -> Browse Mode PrgChg -> MIDI PrgChg# and assign the midi-number.

AFIR the 0-button on the z-12 sends "1" and so on.

How do you mean that the 0 on the Z12 can send 1?

The z12 sends the value +1.
    When you push 0 for 00 on the z12, the z12 sends 1.
    (when you push 0 for 10 the z12 sends 11.)
    If you push 1 it sends 2.

As you said: just give it a try.