Help with a PowerRack Profiler.

• Hi everyone,

New PowerRack owner here for about threee days. I've only played it under headphones and I'm blown away. I have a couple of options for speakers and I have read the manuals and scoured the forums and I want to make sure I understand the outputs before I plug in speakers.

So, can I get confirmation or corrections on the following:
    1. Only the monitor out on the back of the PowerRack is powered with the built in power amp
    2. I should be able to drive a FRFR, passive (unpowered) wedge with the monitor out only. It has a speakeron connection. So, I should be able to go out the monitor out with a 1/4 inch to speakeron cable and get stage level volume for the monitor. In this scenario I would leave the cab emulation on since the speaker has no character.
    3. The main left / right outputs are not powered and it's safe to send those straight to the FOH board or to a powered wedge, like a powered Atomic CLR. Also, leave the cab emulation on.
    4. If I want to use a real guitar cab it has to be 8 or 16 ohms and I can only drive it from the monitor out. In that case, I would turn off the cab emulation.

I hope I used the correct terminology and I really appreciate the feedback. Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings and give a new user a better understanding of this great product!!!

Randy

• ad 1)
    No, the output of the built in power amp is marked as SPEAKER OUTPUT, which is the usual term. The internal power amp is fed by the same signal as the MONITOR OUT. So the MONITOR OUT signal is also used as input signal of the internal power amp. Implication being, that any settings for the MONITOR OUT (Source, EQ, Monitor Cab. Off) also affect the internal power amp.

ad 2)
    You connect your unpowered FRFR speaker to the SPEAKER OUTPUT. If the cabinet has a Speakon socket, you can normally plug in 1/4 inch jack. So a speaker cable (!!!) with two 1/4 inch jack should do it. And yes, you don't activate "Monitor Cab. Off".

ad 3)
    All other outputs (1/4 inch and XLR) are line level outputs to drive FOH, DAW, powered speakers, your home entertainment center,... You can check the technical specifications on the last pages of the Reference Manual for details. And yes, you always leave the cabinet simulation activated except you connect a guitar speaker cabinet.

ad 4) Connect guitar speaker cabinet directly to SPEAKER OUTPUT and activate "Monitor Cab. Off". The internal power amp can handle loads of 8 Ohm and 16 Ohm. 4 Ohm is also possible and safe, but could be affceted by an internal power limiter (read details about power amp in the Reference Manual chapter "The Built-in Power Amplifier".

• Hi Randy, welcome aboard!

you seem to have most things under control!

1. Only the 'Speaker Output' (Red socket - but not always!) is powered with the built in amp - the Monitor Output carries the same signal but at line level.

2. Again, 'Speaker Output' but yes!

3. Yes. I have sent 0dB level to FOH in the but when I asked about it I got "It'a bit hot so I put a 20dB pad in!"

There is, in the latest firmware a soft switch for setting Main Out to -12dB which should keep everybody sweet!

Also in Output Menu, page 2/7, you can uncheck the Main Out Link so you can alter your Monitor levels (Master Volume) without affecting the FOH signal.

4. The manual says 4, 8 & 16 ohms - I thinks NOT less than 4 covers it! I've been using a 16 ohm Vox Night Train cab (25W) to good effect. Cab emulation off (in Output menu)

enjoy ... Andy

• Hi Everyone,

Thank you very much for the fast feedback. I am glad that there are such knowledgeable folks on here to help lead the way. At the risk of being obnoxious I just want to make sure I've got it right. I took a picture of the back of the unit and uploaded here.

So, like Andy_T-V said it doesn't seem like I have a red socket. So, which of the outputs in the Main Output, top right, (L/R XLR and L/R 1/4 Inch) are powered. And, if its powered by the built in power amp does that mean I should NOT use these outputs to a powered speaker or the FOH board?

Don't mind the XLR cable I plugged into the back when the picture was taken. I didn't plug the other end into anything yet, was just checking to see the clearance that I had in the shallow rack.

Thanks again for helping me to get this straight. It seems more complicated to me than it probably really is.

Randy

• What's in the upper right, that isn't on the picture. On a power rack, that is where the powered output is a la

[Blocked Image: http://c1.zzounds.com/media/fit,2018by3200/quality,85/KemperProfilerPowerRackRear-3d073eb0458fe0496cc39c06b1b280d2.jpg]or
    [Blocked Image: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0332/7621/products/3_55e14e46-61ec-438f-9bfb-291a84657fa0.jpg?v=1412361962]