what speaker to use with kemper live?.

• Hi, i have been using my powered Kemper through a marshall quadbox with the cab sims off and it sounds good, but am thinking of making the switch to a powered speaker as i heard it doesn't color the sound...sounds better in other words..... Can i use a yamaha dxr 10 as my onstage rig instead of going to front of house?..or should i buy 2 Dxr 12's and 1 Drx 10 for monitoring onstage?...little bit confused..have never ran front of house before..i do my own sound as we don't have a soundman..a full explanation and some advice would be appreciated..thanks!

• Its well documented on the forums that the DXR range (particularly the DXR10) of speakers come highly recommended.

I use the DXR10, and my set up is that I use my DXR10 as a personal monitor from the KPA on the floor in front of me. I also have an additional input from the desk to the second in on my DXR10 to monitor my backing vocals.

I set my main outs on the KPA to stereo, and take 2 XLR cables out of the left and right main outs on the KPA, straight into 2 separate channels on the mixing desk ( I do this to benefit from the stereo delays and effects I run - you can just run mono). Set mix levels on the mixer as required, I would suggest flattening the EQ on the desk EQ at least to start with although I have found I have never needed to adjust. Also turn of desk effects on your channels (reverb for example) if you are running these on your KPA.

I have to be honest the first 5 gigs it felt quite odd, as you have to "trust" the mix out front, but its the way forward. Hope that helps and good luck!

Mat

• This is the most sensible way to go, IMO.

• Sorry, I mis-read part of your post. I see no reason why you couldn't use 1 x DXR10 as your speaker. It should be loud enough on its own to project to the audience subject to the size of venue. This would work in the same way as your existing rig, or someone with an amp up on stage.

By front of house I mean a PA system (mixing desk and a couple of large speakers that the vocals go through in its simplest form). The reason I (and I am sure many) also connect my KPA to the front of house is this way my guitar sound can be mixed in with the vocals and other instruments to give a better balance and mix for the audience, and I use my DXR10 so I can hear what I am playing and nothing more (i.e. the audience cant really hear it).

The DXR10 is a popular choice for guitarist in particular, because as you alluded to, it delivers excellent performance and does not colour the sound coming out of the Kemper. Most guitarists want to hear the purest and best tone they can :). It is an FRFR speaker (Full Range, Flat Response), which is the reason it does not colour the sound. While people will shoot me down, "most" PA speakers do a similar type of job so you don't necessarily need 2 x DXR10's out front, there are many other manufacturers out there at different price points. Also PA speakers ideally need to be 12" but again this is subject to the type of music you play, the amount and type of things going through the PA, and of course the size of venue you are likely to be in.

The next questions is why the DXR10 rather than a cheaper PA speaker or a budget FRFR speaker to use with the Kemper or front of house? This ultimately boils down to the same reason someone will buy a Gibson over an Epiphone, Fender over squire, Boss over joyo. They all do the same job but there is either a perceived, required or documented improvement in sound / quality / reliability. I chose the DXR10 as I figured if I spend all this money on the Kemper, the remote and rigs I want it to sound the best it can.

I seem to have waffled a lot here but I hope it gives you a bit more of an idea, and hopefully I haven't confused you even more!!

• I use an old Tech 21 Power Engine. Cab sim off. It sounds great to me. I do feed the FOH and they usually send some back into my monitor. But I think the Tech 21, by itself is a pretty damn good monitor.
    By the way, I did get a chance to play thru Mike Britt's XiTone and it sounded great. I may get one for myself!

My name is Chris & I'm a guitar-a-holic!