Profiling a 57 Deluxe

• Wowa thats loud - the Deluxe has no master volume.
    I am looking NOT forward to profile a 100Watt none master-volume Marshall ;)

In case you like to profile an amp as the Deluxe here is my tipp 'make a lot of profiles'.

The Deluxe is quite below Volume level 2 (no sound at all).
    Then the volume increases until about 4 after that only the compression and distortion increased (ok, the level maybe a little bit).

If you compare a profile made at volume level 2 (and then added gain with the KPA's gain knob) to a profile made at volume 3 - you'll find that it sound TOTALLY different.

The deluxe changes not only the level or gain but the complete amp sounds different at different volume settings.

That's why I created some profiles at all this volume levels:
    Volume 2
    Volume 2.1
    Volume 2.2
    Volume 2.3
    Volume 2.5
    Volume 3
    Volume 4
    Volume 6
    Volume 8
    Volume 10
    Volume 11
    Volume 12

Yes it's strange but at the end - yes this amp goes to 12! - do we get a big change so that an additional Volume 11 profile makes sense.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Armin,

What mic did you use for your profiling of the deluxe?

Is this one of the Fender reissues or a real deal 57?

I've been making further attempts to profile my 58 and a thing I noticed was how distorted it sounded when I played my guitar into it through the KPA. I found that I had to take the monitor volume all the way down to get the amp to sound playing guitar into it direct as playing it though KPA. So far I've only had a go at volume on 2.5.

Vintage amp obsessive

Edited once, last by professortweed ().

• Armin,

Another question. What tone setting did you use for your profiles? The Deluxe's tone knob affects gain as well as tone - more treble, more gain; using the volume knob of the unused input channel also affects the tone by adding low mids.

Vintage amp obsessive

• I used tone at 8 and instrument 1 (only) for all this profiles.

As for the mic's I use a SM57, some MXL's, my secret weapon (ADK Hamburg) and even a neutral measurement mic - experimented with the right angle, position and mix until I found a spot were the profiles are extremely close to the sound of the amp in my room.

I use large Adam S4XV speakers (with 12" woofers) this helps a lot to get the 'amp tone' via the speakers.

The audio example on my homepage were done with my Fender Tele (neck pu).

When I first heard this combination - KPA with the Deluxe profile and my Fender Tele - I made my mind to keep the KPA.
    I was not able to capture this sound with the AxeFx Ultra or II and not with the VB101 this close.

After our last rehearsal the other guitar player (from my blues band) listened and could not believe that it was via a digital box ;)

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

• At the bottom of Armin's first message on this thread. He's also got a package of Axe II profiles and a package of acoustic profiles for sale.

Vintage amp obsessive

• Yes, you can store the cab part of each profile as new cab preset - this is true for all profiles in the KPA - check out the tipps section there I tried to explain it.

My Axe profiles contain all the pure amp presets (00-41) and some more.

• All profiles were done with an AxeFx II using firmware 4.01 (latest one)

• 100% real is fine for me ;)

I love some of the AxeFx models very much - dont care how real they are.

Some sound not this great itself but fit nicely into the mix.

Others are great starting points to tweak with the KPA amp and cab parameters.
    In addition do I mix some Axe amps with KPA cabs and Axe cabs with KPA ams - so many options.

I dont know if firmware 5 will be this much better - and dont care - the KPA is my thing now.

No plans to offer a 5.0 version since I have sold my AxeFx II - and all I wanted was to be still able to play the Axe sounds ;)

• FWIW I bought armins axefx profiles to play around with, mainly because I always liked the Marsha amp model.
    The profiles are very nice, and worth getting, esp for those amps we have no profiles of just yet.
    I had an axefx 2 for almost 2 weeks and from what I remember these are very close.