Advice on a monitor solution?

• Being pretty new to a powered toaster, I'm looking for some kind of direction as to a monitor/ cabinet that does an accurate job of reproducing the KPA'S intended sound. I should preface this by saying that I've spent a fair amount of $ already and am not happy with the dozen or so things I've tried. Including traditional guitar cabs and a few flat response speakers. What I'm looking for is something passive that sounds good, has been tried and tested, and has had a lot of good reviews. That way, in the case it doesn't work out for me I'll know it's not the speaker that's causing the problem in the first place. And can rule that end of it out. Thanks in advance.

• I used to have a whole list of these but if you search here and the Gear Page, it mostly boils down to just a few... I have the 'budget solutions' in the first two, people with more in their wallet often opt for the latter two. YMMV

Tech 21 Power Engine
    Alto TS210 or 212
    Yamaha DXR 10 or 12
    Atomic CLR or Neo

• In my experience most non powered PA speakers are not that high quality. Sure there are some but the price goes way up.

I have a Powerhead and still use a powered DSR112. I only use the built in poweramp when running through a real guitar cab.

With a powered speaker you also get the added benefit of built in limiting to keep you from blowing the speaker.

Hi Deadpan,

I also use a DSR112 (for mains and for gigging with friends who don't use IEM's). How would you rate the sound of the DSR112 compared to using your power amp and a guitar cab?

I have found that the KPA and DSR112 hangs with my friends "real" cabs and tube amps very well.

• @Ragnarok What dozen or so things have you tried so far? Do you like the sound of the Kemper system with an active speaker cabinet? Not sure if your dissatisfaction is due to the Kemper or the speakers you've tried so far.

If you can find it used, go straight to the "best" tried and true FRFR with lots of great reviews, and try the Atomic CLR Passive. Seems like that ought to solve your mystery.

• Hi Deadpan,
    I also use a DSR112 (for mains and for gigging with friends who don't use IEM's). How would you rate the sound of the DSR112 compared to using your power amp and a guitar cab?

I have found that the KPA and DSR112 hangs with my friends "real" cabs and tube amps very well.

Some profiles sound great on a 4 12 but in general I prefer the DSR. My only complaint is the low end. I play down tuned metal and it is better with a sub.

• Some profiles sound great on a 4 12 but in general I prefer the DSR. My only complaint is the low end. I play down tuned metal and it is better with a sub.

You need a good full range bass cabinet.

I hate emojis, but I hate being misunderstood more. :)

• I second the bass cabinet movement! I had a GK neo 212 and not only was it a perfect match ohm and watts rating but it had neodymium speakers so it weighed nothing. I also used it with the cab Sims on, but sometimes off too, with the right profile and eq. If you use the character knob a lot like I do you have to turn it down when running the cab sim off.

When I was just a young Kemper owner I used a JBL passive pa speaker but eventually smoked it (literally burned the insides) with my 8 string. It wasn't rated high enough watts wise, and I ran it almost on maximum all the time with pedals that would clip the output occasionally

• Some profiles sound great on a 4 12 but in general I prefer the DSR. My only complaint is the low end. I play down tuned metal and it is better with a sub.

When I play live, I have a pair of DSR112's over a pair of PRX618S-XLF's. The palm mutes can literally shake your pant legs around ;)

Not really a great bedroom rig though :) :)

• I used to have a whole list of these but if you search here and the Gear Page, it mostly boils down to just a few... I have the 'budget solutions' in the first two, people with more in their wallet often opt for the latter two. YMMV

Tech 21 Power Engine
    Alto TS210 or 212
    Yamaha DXR 10 or 12
    Atomic CLR or Neo

Do you still use ALTO TS210 @flyingheelhook ? What is your opinion on this speaker, do you have any comparison to DXR range?

• When I play live, I have a pair of DSR112's over a pair of PRX618S-XLF's. The palm mutes can literally shake your pant legs around ;)
    Not really a great bedroom rig though :) :)

Wow, that's a 260lb, $4000 guitar amplifier.

I hate emojis, but I hate being misunderstood more. :)

• Being pretty new to a powered toaster, I'm looking for some kind of direction as to a monitor/ cabinet that does an accurate job of reproducing the KPA'S intended sound. I should preface this by saying that I've spent a fair amount of $ already and am not happy with the dozen or so things I've tried. Including traditional guitar cabs and a few flat response speakers. What I'm looking for is something passive that sounds good, has been tried and tested, and has had a lot of good reviews. That way, in the case it doesn't work out for me I'll know it's not the speaker that's causing the problem in the first place. And can rule that end of it out. Thanks in advance.

Here you are, Rag...

You can thank me later.

http://www.xitonecabs.com/mode…ive-1x12-wedge/index.html

• Here you are, Rag...

You can thank me later.

http://www.xitonecabs.com/mode…ive-1x12-wedge/index.html

I second the Xitone wedge, though I've honestly haven't tried anything else. I just know that it is very transparent and that the Kemper sounds great through it. That said, I'd still consider buying the powered version only because the Matrix amp that the powered Xitone comes with is half the reason why it sounds so good. The amp and the speaker are matched to each other, thus you get a better combination. Just something to consider.

Good luck!

• I second the Xitone wedge, though I've honestly haven't tried anything else. I just know that it is very transparent and that the Kemper sounds great through it. That said, I'd still consider buying the powered version only because the Matrix amp that the powered Xitone comes with is half the reason why it sounds so good. The amp and the speaker are matched to each other, thus you get a better combination. Just something to consider.

Good luck!

Hi Jose,

Hmmm, I am not quite sure about your reasoning on this matter, Jose. The powered KPA (which Ragnarok owns) features a very neutral, Class D amp. IMHO, it just doesn't make any sense in spending additional money to purchase a powered/active monitor, when you already own a powered KPA.

Furthermore, one could make a good argument that the IcePower (Bang & Olufsen) Class D poweramp, which is integral to the powered KPA, is the preferred (and recommended) amplification for the Kemper, due to it's transparency. I believe the Matrix amp module is Class AB...which is going to impart some of it's own intrinsic "color" to the tone.

Just my 2 cents, but the passive version of the XiTone is the way to go, in this particular case.

Cheers,
    John

• I'm a new Kemper owner and preparing for my first gig. I also have the powered toaster. I went through a similar experience of trying to figure out how to monitor my sound on stage. Honestly, my guitar cabs with more neutral sounding speakers like Celstion CL80 or EMV12L's dont sound bad at all with the cab simulation turned off. But one of my goals with this setup was to reduce stage volume and make it easier for the sound man. I am ending up with using a passive Yamaha SM15V wedge that will sit up by my vocal monitor or to the side of me as more of a stage wash. I already had 2 of these cabs/wedges for my personal PA so I just tried it and was very happy with it. Now I can keep one at the practice space and one at home for gigs. I did try a Mission cab (FRFR) but was unimpressed with it. Too dark sounding. I also got a chance to hear my head though a CLR which was very nice..but so much money! I figure I'll give my Yamaha a try first and see how it goes. Its a relatively cheap option...

• Wow, that's a 260lb, $4000 guitar amplifier.

Well ..... it is a 260lb, $4000.00 PA system that my guitar also goes through ;)

It does have lots of low end though.

Seriously though, I really don't like carrying even a single DSR112 when I play with other peoples bands. I greatly prefer to use my IEM's and plug my Kemper directly into the PA.

It seems like a huge step backward (in sound and time) when I have to go with wedges and have a live sound source for my guitar on stage with me.

I have gotten really spoiled in my old age!