New Profile way to loud / distored

• Other profiling attempts this morning.
    Clean amp profiling.
    I had experienced the bug only once, when I have achieved profile refining, don't know if it is the cause.

First attempt: KO

1. XLR Input
    2. Single mic
    3. No return level adjustment
    4. No other input attached
    5. Refining

Second and third attempts: OK

1. XLR Input
    2. Single mic
    3. Return level adjusted
    4. No other input attached
    5. No refining

I will drop a mail to the support.

"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

• Ok, then i can only think of 2 possible causes:

1. The Return Level Adjustment somehow causes a weird binary problem, which would be strange, cause it is obviously not happening to every user who creates profiles.

2. The clipping detection simply does not work like it should. Like stated by some other user, when profiling the reference amp, the input LED should not indicate the guitar input, but the return level, thus indicating overload problems from your mic or mixer. Have you guys really tested this? With my setup, it does not seem to work. When i test pushing the return level to high positive values, the led does not turn red. So my guess here is, that perhaps we simply pushed the return signal too hot into the return, without the KPA noticing that the signal gets distorted.

Does anybody know, if the KPA "normalizes" the profiles after capturing?

Since it seems that only a few KPA owners have the problem, my only suggestion just to sort this out is to test profiling with reduced return levels so that the profiling return signal appears not as loud as a reference profile.

• I used to put my Mic directly into the KPA - and then have to boost the Returnlevel.
    20-30% of my profiles were bad/loud ones.

Today I put my Mic-Preamp before the KPA - set the Returnlevel to 0 - and profiled about 20 times without any problems.

I found that the Cabinet Block Level will not the stored in a new profile - most of my profiles were adjusted by increasing the Cabinet Block Level a little bit.

Maybe this two point together lead to the problem - I send a bug report to support and they try to reproduce it...

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

Edited once, last by Armin ().

• I think we´re finally getting somewhere. But i observed something strange:

I left the Return level at 0db where it initializes after reboooting and reduced the output level of my submixer to the point where it was nearly as loud as the reference profile. I then took 2 profiles. Before i took the second one, i moved the Return Level soft knob and then back to 0 db again. So both profiles should have had the same settings. But when playing them in browser mode, the first one was way louder than the second. The second one had a normal level, like most other profiles.

My guess is, that when the KPA reboots, it does not really initialize the return level to 0 db, but to the maximum value.

• Well spotted, if it is the trick. Alt Input and return are intechangeable for profiling, but the alt input is normally set at instrument level (like the front one), if the setting is only one together with the return , then it could well be....

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Does somebody have an example of such a distorted profile, which she/he could send to Kemper Support?

Even with your much appreciated detailed descriptions we were not able to duplicate this issue so far. So we'd like to have a look at such a file.

If it should happen next time, please export and share - before you delete!

• based on your excellent oberservations and some detailed descriptions, we are confident, that we have spotted the root cause for this issue.
    You can expect a final fix in one of our next firmware versions.

In the meantime - to avoid this problem - before you start profiling turn the Return-Level up by a large degree and then back to appropriate level. This should 'calibrate' the system.

Thanks to all those who have contributed their findings!

• based on your excellent oberservations and some detailed descriptions, we are confident, that we have spotted the root cause for this issue.
    You can expect a final fix in one of our next firmware versions.

In the meantime - to avoid this problem - before you start profiling turn the Return-Level up by a large degree and then back to appropriate level. This should 'calibrate' the system.

Thanks to all those who have contributed their findings!

Great news. I guess i was right then about the values being changed relatively and not just set global?

Please also fix the SPDIF bug from 7059, or i will not be able to test it :(

• Please also fix the SPDIF bug from 7059, or i will not be able to test it :(

Oh no. I just worked intensively with them to get the KPA SPDif out working with all soundcards.
    What audiointerface are you using, Till?

P.s. how come you guys can post in the thread from G String, and I don't see a reply button there? Just wondering

• P.s. how come you guys can post in the thread from G String, and I don't see a reply button there? Just wondering

Ops, is not there anymore, thread closed. Probably they don't want to spam the "Announcements" section with problem troubleshooting that should be in his own section. Not that wrong....

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Oh no. I just worked intensively with them to get the KPA SPDif out working with all soundcards.
    What audiointerface are you using, Till?

RME HDSP 9632. Pretty standard. I already informed Burkhard about this. Do you have detailled information about the way they changed the SPDIF output?

• No, sorry. I send them my soundcard to check out why the KPA didn't work with some interfaces.
    They discovered the prob and fixed it. It also worked for loulou222, who was also having a prob with a different soundcard

• I wish I had read this thread earlier. I was having a hell of a problem today trying to profile my amp as it just sounded really loud and horrible after profiling. In the end I just fed the KPA a line level signal from my external mic preamp and that did the trick nicely.