Tried a QSC K10 last night: very impressed. How does it compare to other FRFR speakers?

• I've been using a very old monitor vocal wedge (SM15V) for my powered toaster since I started gigging with it. Well last night I got to try a buddies QSC K10 powered speaker at practice with my Kemper and was blown away by how much better it was than my Yamaha.

So my questions are:
    How does the QSC compare to something like the Yamaha DXR10?
    I dont NEED a powered speaker as my toaster is powered. Does the fact that these powered monitors have their own power amps "made specifically for them" make them better sounding?
    Could the big difference in sound between my old Yamaha and the newer QSC be just technology changes and most ANY newer speaker is going to be a step up?

I had been debating trying a Xitone non powered wedge . Still tempted to try it as I REALLY dont want to run power to the front of the stage for a monitor....but the QSC sounded SO good!!

• It's really all preference. I tried the K10 and the K12 and thought they both sounded awful compared to the DXR series. I ended up buying a DXR15 because no 10" or 12" speaker would be able to handle the volume I play at. I think for the most part, the majority of the people on this forum recommend the DXR series as well as the Atomic stuff. But again, it's really all personal preference. What sounds good is totally subjective.

• I have both...got the qsc first but it had some upper mid freqs I couldn't dial out so I got the dxr and now I'm much happier. Volumewise they're about the same. the qsc isn't bad at all but with my rigs/gear it had some nasty freqs I didn't like at loud levels. seems like you already tried and liked the qsc so it's all good...the dxr is a little less money but you might wanna try one first since you know what the qsc sound like

• I have a pair of QSC K 12's with a DBX Drive Rack between the Kemper and the K 12's. Using the RTA mic that comes with the Drive Rack to flatten-out the EQ of any room you're in, it sounds fantastic to my ears......

• I have a pair of QSC K 12's with a DBX Drive Rack between the Kemper and the K 12's. Using the RTA mic that comes with the Drive Rack to flatten-out the EQ of any room you're in, it sounds fantastic to my ears......

It's funny you mentioned that. I tried the K12s and couldn't stand them. So I bought the DXR15 and I think it's heaven for my monitor. However, for my cover band's PA, we use the K12s with a DBX Drive Rack and everything sounds awesome. Maybe it's the Drive Rack that makes the K12s sound good.

• It's really all preference. I tried the K10 and the K12 and thought they both sounded awful compared to the DXR series. I ended up buying a DXR15 because no 10" or 12" speaker would be able to handle the volume I play at. I think for the most part, the majority of the people on this forum recommend the DXR series as well as the Atomic stuff. But again, it's really all personal preference. What sounds good is totally subjective.

I would add to that list, and give a big thumbs up to XiTone Cabs. Also, Mission Engineering cabs.

I have a big soft spot for coaxial-based FRFR monitors. :thumbup:

Edited 2 times, last by Tritium ().

• Found a deal on a QSC K10. Havent plugged it in yet (hopefully tonight?) but thx for the responses. I agree about personal preference. Its all subjective. All I know is I was incredibly impressed with the one I tried.

• It's funny you mentioned that. I tried the K12s and couldn't stand them. So I bought the DXR15 and I think it's heaven for my monitor. However, for my cover band's PA, we use the K12s with a DBX Drive Rack and everything sounds awesome. Maybe it's the Drive Rack that makes the K12s sound good.

Yes..... I was less impressed with using the K 12's alone. But, I think the advantage of using a DBX Drive Rack with the RTA mic to automatically flatten out the EQ of ANY room / stage is substantial. I also have a Mission Engineering 2 x 12 unpowered cab, powered by a QSC GX 7 that I think sounds great on its own. I need to try out the DBX with that setup to see if it would even sound better (when I have the time). I suspect that the DBX is pretty useful for many FRFR's. Obviously, many supposedly "flat" PA monitors, FRFR cabs have some differences and sound different in different settings (weird standing waves, acoustics of various rooms, etc....) So, in my limited experience with this, it worked out VERY well with the K 12's......

• Further to my previous post...in my personal (subjective) recommendation of a coaxial-based FRFR monitor, I am in NO WAY taking away from very satisfied and happy experiences of users of 2-component "Hi-Fi" arrangement FRFR monitors, such as Yammy DXRs, QSCs, JBLs, Mackies, etc.

It is just my personal experience and preference that a single, point-source reproduction of an amplifier's audio, sounds more like a traditional guitar Cab, as compared to a 2-component "Hi-Fi" arrangement of a separately mounted woofer and HF driver. I guess I am more sensitive to the the localization and "beaming" of a separate tweeter than most...but I have tried the Yammy DXR10 (which I fully admit is a fantastic, high end, quality monitor...I love Yamaha), and it just sound to much like playing through a high end stereo vs a physical guitar cab. Whereas the XiTone gives me that traditional guitar Cab "flavor" and soundscape.

Again, it's all good, and everyone hears things differently. :thumbup:

The Atomic CLR is also very highly regarded, here on the KPA Forum, and from all reports, for good reason. However, I couldn't give the company my money, due to a "personality" closely associated with development of the CLR speaker cab. For the record, it is not the owner of Atomic Amps. Luckily, Atomic was by no means the only coaxial-based FRFR game in town, thanks to XiTone. Also, there is the excellent Mission Engineering alternatives.

Cheers,
    John

Edited 2 times, last by Tritium ().

• Related question - if I don't need high sound pressure level, in FRFR cabinets is there a significant difference between a 10 and a 12 (or 15)?

I'm looking for great sound in the practice studio.

• Half wondering... For studio use it is common to get a pair of crappy factory-issue car stereo speakers for a "mix check".
    Nowadays there are some pretty capable car stereo speakers - Boston Acoustics or Klipsch for instance.

• I use a QSC K10.2 as an FRFR monitor with my Kemper Stage. I leave the QSC monitor gain at 0 dB (or slightly more if needed) using the Stage Monitor 2 profile, and the Kemper monitor output between -10dB and -6dB, depending on the venue. I found the QSC Default profile to have too much treble, becoming too shrill at higher volume. The Stage Monitor 2 profile has a nice bass and mid response.