Marsh & Tube Screamer

• 'never used the drive block in the AxeFx so much - today I tried the TubeScreamer in the KPA - and I like it!

If you have not used it yet - check it out.

Demo

TubeScreamer->Marsh Profile->StereoWidener->Delay-Reverb (no noise gate)

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

Edited 2 times, last by Armin ().

• Nice one armin. How are you getting along with profiling the JVM?

Finished just now.

Some more information about the JVM (for the ones interested):

The JVM has 4 channels (Clean, Crunch, Overdrive1, Overdrive2) with 3 modes (green, yellow, red).

Channel 1 (Clean) has NOT the typical Marshall sound - since the tone stack is before the distortion stages = a totally new sound from a Marshall amp.
    Mode 1 (green) is a totally clean sound
    Mode 2 (yellow) crunchy sound (still tone stack before gain stage)
    Mode 3 (red) distorted sound (still tone stack before gain stage)

Channel 2 is the classic Marshall sound - and the tone stack behind the distortion stages (like in the KPA EQ)
    Channel 2 (Crunch):
    Mode 1 (green) is very close to the famous classic Marshall JTM45/1959 Plexi sound.
    Mode 2 (yellow) is the classic Marshall JCM800 2203 sound.
    Mode 3 (red) is the sound of a hot-rodded JCM800

Channel 3&4 are Marshall-High-Gain-Sounds
    Channel 3 (Overdrive 1):
    Mode 1 (green) another hot-rodded JCM800 sound
    Mode 2 (yellow) This adds another gain stage
    Mode 3 (red) Even more gain

Channel 4 (Overdirve 2):
    Similar to Ch3 but with even more gain

The red modes in Ch3 and Ch4 have an insane amount of gain - you're surely will not want more :D

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Edited 3 times, last by Armin ().

• I love my JVM410H too. I think it is the best Marshall for modern sounds and the "best bang for the buck" at the moment. But is also has its limits. Since people always were always criticizing the Marshall heads that implemented diode clipping they decided to use only tube gain stages on the JVMs signal path. Since every gain stage has a more or less static amount of amplification of around 20 db, the gain steps are a little rough for my taste. I u set the OD1 and OD2 to the "sweet spot", which is orange mode at about 10:00, it leaves the green mode way too tamed.

In my opinion, the orange mode of OD1 and OD2 is the original "JVM Sound". It has has very preshaped tone that really is directed into the "boutique" category. When i profiled the OD2 orange, the amp definition was initiallly set to 10.0, a clear indication of the preshaping. The other channels and modes are nice too, but cannot fully recreate those plexi and 2203 tones they are based on.

I am very curious about the new Joe Satriani Version of the amp, where they changes the clean and crunch channel tones and exchanged the 4 reverbs for 4 noise gates.

• I had a JVM410 for a couple of years. Great Marshall head indeed.
    Are these profiles through a 4 x 12 with a Royer 121?

I close miked a 1936V (2x12" Vintage 30) with the R121 - the pictures on my webpage show the used gear.

• Since every gain stage has a more or less static amount of amplification of around 20 db, the gain steps are a little rough for my taste. I u set the OD1 and OD2 to the "sweet spot", which is orange mode at about 10:00, it leaves the green mode way too tamed.

That was why I ultimately ended up selling mine.
    My 2 core sounds were on OD1 green (preamp about 2 o clock) and OD1 yellow (preamp about 10 o clock) and there was just no way of switching between the two.
    I thought it was the best sounding Marshall out there but really crippled for my use by this limitation.
    Now with the KPA, this limitation no longer exists...happy days indeed.

• As you may have found - the profiles sound very close to the JVM 'in the room' - I tried to setup the mic's (and other gear) so that the sound of my JVM is as close as possible reproduced from the KPA via my Adam speakers (btw. both systems use 2x12" speakers).

[Blocked Image: http://www.soundside.de/about/images/StudioGuitarGear.jpg]

In case you do some recordings you may want to reduce the bass a little bit with the KPA EQ.

My main goal was to be able to enjoy the KPA as an 'amp in my room' (not as a miked amp sound).

It's was fun to let my buddy guess which is which when he was in my room :D

Try the JVM C31 (this is the 3. channel / 1. Mode = Overdrive1 in green mode) - it should be the sound you are after.

• Hi Armin,

i really like the sound from your sample in the first post.

Would you share the rig? Would be great.... Thanks, Sascha

Armin's profiles packages are available for purchase on his webpage, together with a lot of other music related stuff. The address is in the signature.

Edit: welcome Sascha! The same from TGP?

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff