Kemper Powerhead - Best cab to use for live gigs

• Hi Everyone,

I've recently purchased a Kemper Powerhead which I will be using for all of my live gigs, I'm going more towards using a cab than going into the PA on stage. I've heard good things about the Matrix NL12 and 212 but not sure if they are the best to use for tone and sound.

If anyone has any suggestions on this it would really help me out as I am fairly new to the kemper process.

Many Thanks! :)

• I am using an Avatar 2x12 Contemporary with V30s. It sounds great. I model my sounds using a v30 style cab in the profiler to keep my sound somewhat consistent. I could easily use this rig forever.

That being said, i'm looking into passive FRFR cabs like the Mission Gemini 1-P for some size and weight reduction, and to get near matched tone between FOH and stage sound.

• I've had the NL12's and they are nice. They are traditional cabs with an extended frequency response that work well with cabs sims on and off, so it just depends on your preferred flavor. They also weigh nothing. Matrix makes top notch stuff.

I use the Gemini 1-P like @Progear. I like the Mission stuff particularly because it's a coaxial design so the dispersion is even and it both reacts and looks like a traditional cab while being FRFR. I just couldn't really get over the aesthetic of playing through a wedge or PA speakers. The Gemini does require you to drive the speakers to get it to really sing, though. It's not an at-home, quiet practicing amp. It's also around 50 lbs, so not the lightest solution if you're moving around a ton.

Before making my purchase I did exhaustive research which I tried my best to compile here.

But as @Ingolf mentioned, people here use many different solutions, so it's ultimately whatever works best for you. There's no right or wrong and these threads tend to get enveloped with us giving the primary focus to those who cater specifically to our needs (Atomic, Mission Engineering, Matrix, Yamaha, Friedman, XiTone) but there's a world of possibilities. Some guys can't get past the mic'd guitar sound of using FRFR so they stay with the cabs they already know and love, and that's perfectly cool. It is limiting with cab emulation however, but if that doesn't matter to you, then no harm no foul.

• I meant to ask you during our discussion how hard you can drive the 1-P before you start running into issues.

I'm using the 2x12 v30 cab now and the Kemper drives it beautifully. I have more than enough headroom.

Can I expect the 1-P to react similar to a 1x12 guitar cabinet as far as output? My band isn't ridiculously loud, but we are def loud. I have used a 30ish watt 1x12 combo before and it kept up, though.

• The Gemini 1-P gives you more than enough. I'm not near full volume standing right next to my drummer and have no issue whatsoever.

• The Gemini 1-P gives you more than enough. I'm not near full volume standing right next to my drummer and have no issue whatsoever.

Awesome. I'm sure the better dispersion comes into play, too.

In the rehearsal space, the other guitarist will say he cant hear me when we aren't running through monitors and the singer always looks at him like he is crazy.

He plays one open back cab and one closed back so that prob helps me hear him better than he hears me.