Carvin TRX12N - FRFR solution for a powered lunchbox?

• Guys,

Anybody has a chance to try this passive wedge with powered Kemper?
    Do you think it's going to be powerful enough regarding all specs below for the loud gigs since Kemper's internal power amp is a D-class solid state type?
    Unfortunately I can't find any detailed spec's info on Xotone website to compare Carvin's passive wedge to Xitone passive wedge. Anybody can help me with that?

thank you guys in advance!

System Type: 12-inch 2-Way
    Frequency Response (-10dB): 65 Hz - 20 kHz
    Frequency Response (-3dB): 70 Hz - 18 kHz
    Coverage Pattern: 80 round
    Crossover: 2-Way with Speaker Guard™ HF protection
    Crossover Frequency: 2.5 k Hz
    Power: 300w Continuous / 600w Program / 1200w Peak
    Recommended Amplifier Power: 450w - 900w
    Sensitivity (1w @ 1m): 96dB
    Maximum SPL: 121dB
    LF Driver: 12-inch woofer
    HF Driver: 1-inch Neodymium 1.5-inch VC
    Nominal Impedance full range: 8 ohms
    Bi-amp LF: 8 ohms 300w / 600w / 1200w
    Bi-amp HF: 8 ohms 60w / 120w / 240w
    Enclosure: 13-Ply Premium Russian Baltic Birch
    Suspension/Mounting: 1-3/8-inch pole mount cup
    Finish: Black DuraTex™
    Transport: 1 Recessed Handle
    Grill: Black powder coated 16-Ga steel
    Acoustically Transparent Foam Backing
    Connectors: Two NL-4 Neutrik Speakon™
    Dimensions: 14.5 in high (370mm) x 15.5 in wide (395mm) x 19.5 in deep (495mm)
    Net Weight: 33 lb (15 kg)

• 96db @ 1w/1m is not very efficient. If you are playing very loud gigs I might be worried that it wouldn't be able to keep up. What about something like - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yorkvi…9492fe:g:jkwAAOSwCU1Y3ROo ? 127db max continuous - http://yorkville.com/legacy/product/nx35/

Edit: Though you better check the stats on the Kemper amp. I see it says 600w but didn't see the Ohms. I am using the non-power amp version so am not familiar with the specs on the powered head.

• 96db @ 1w/1m is not very efficient. If you are playing very loud gigs I might be worried that it wouldn't be able to keep up. What about something like - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yorkvi…9492fe:g:jkwAAOSwCU1Y3ROo ? 127db max continuous - http://yorkville.com/legacy/product/nx35/

Edit: Though you better check the stats on the Kemper amp. I see it says 600w but didn't see the Ohms. I am using the non-power amp version so am not familiar with the specs on the powered head.

@Grumpter, thank you so much! That is why I'm asking for help! I completely illiterate with all those "d@w/m" terms.

Very strange that Xitone's cabs don't have this info.

Kemper power amp is 600w with 8ohm or 300w with 16ohm.

Am I getting it right that 600w with 8ohm will sound twice louder then 300w with 16ohm?

• At 600w at 8 ohms that is a little more than the cab I posted should be driven with but I am sure there are plenty of options out there. I personally like Yorkville but there are plenty of good brands.

Forgetting about Ohms for a moment a doubling in power produces a +3db gain in volume which is theoretically the amount where there is a noticeable increase in volume. It takes +10db to be twice as loud which requires about 10x the power to accomplish. So comparing a speaker with 96db @ 1watt at 1 meter versus one with 102db @ 1 watt at 1 meter it would take 4x the power for the 96db speaker to produce the same SPL (Sound Pressure Level) as the 102db speaker.

96db @ 1w/1m speaker
    1 watt = 96db
    2 = 99
    4 = 102
    8 = 105
    16 = 108
    32 = 111
    64 = 114
    128 = 117
    256 = 120
    512 = 123 but the Carvin tops out at 121db
    1024 = 126
    2048 = 129

102db @ 1w/1m speaker
    1 watt = 102db
    2 = 105
    4 = 108
    8 = 111
    16 = 114
    32 = 117
    64 = 120
    128 = 123
    256 = 126
    512 = 129

• @Grumpter Wow!!! Just Wow! Thanks a lot for the lesson, at least for me! Great to know all that info!

I've bought the Carvin cab just to try it during trail period. So, I had a rehearsal on a relatively big stage and right from the beginning started to add more and more volume on my Kemper. So I ended up with a full master volume and even full power amp extra boost (since your Kemper is non-powered I guess you don't have this parameter). As soon as I've reached the volume top of the Kemper that Carvin cab started, hmmm, I don't know how to explain it, but ... I would say the cab started to "stutter" or clipping, don't know! Kemper itself was not clipping at all - all the input and output leds were green. Why I made this post is because I started to feel that the Kemper's internal power amp is really weak since it is a D-class.
    So, do you think that the internal power amp is powerful enough and the issue is Carvin cab due to his specs?

Thanks again for your help!

• This is not a case where D is worse than A or B. Class-D amps are more efficient and thankfully weigh a lot less. In the bad old days you had power amps like the Peavey CS400 which was 120 watts at 8ohms and weighed 40 Lbs. They were known as 'Boat Anchors'.

I looked at the specs of the Kemper Amp but there is not much detail other than 600w at 8 ohms. Nothing else to go on so the numbers could be maximized but even then I would think it is enough power for most situations. I think the issues are 1) the Carvin cab is very inefficient as I previously mentioned and 2) you are playing in a high volume situation. I suggest you try a more efficient speaker, that can handle that much power, and see if that gives you enough headroom. Something that has a max SPL of 126db to 128db.If that does not solve the volume problem then you are at a point beyond my help. The only thing I could suggest at that point is a good in-ear monitor system that would help reduce the external sound and I would suggest for both ears if you are playing at those volumes.

The sound you heard from the Carvin speaker was from pushing the speaker to it's limits. Push it long enough and you will blow the speaker.