Those who own the KPA, what insights have you learned so far that improved the quality of your profiles?

• Just looking for little nuggets of info that you guys have learned so far that have helped you improve the profiles you've captured. Things like mic distance, multiple mics blended, how hard you're pushing the power section of an amp....etc... Anything like that would be great info to have so I'm not relearning what you guys have already learned.

thanks,

Steve

ps. I'm extra excited now because I rediscovered that my Chandler TG2 does have the summing option so I'll be able to blend my Royer 101 with a 57 or whatever. Mine has the switch on the back so I'd forgotten about it. Can't wait!

• The TG2 and your mic's should do a great job.

I like my profiles best in case I profile quite loud (gig level) - and you'll need some time to find the best mic position.
    The best position depends a lot on the profiled amp and your taste.

For my Deluxe did the SM57 (with a little condenser mic to increase the bass) work best - the Marshall and Lonestar likes the Royer - other amps need two mics at 50/50.

I usually spend a few days finding the best position / combination - checking the results on different speakers.
    At first must it sound great on my main speakers (Adam S4X-V).
    I use this large speakers because they have a 12" woofer - and that gives me the 'typical guitar speaker sound and air move'.

When I like it then I check it on my studio monitors (Genelec 1032A) and finally on small PC speakers (B&W MM1).

I spend a few days - since sometime does my ears (or whatever) play tricks on me - I like the sound more and more - and the next day I hate it - so it must sound great a few days in succession.

If I have my mic setting I start to profile the amp at various settings, gain levels, all channels, switches ...

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

Edited once, last by Armin ().