[SOLVED] Profile "sameness" related to SPDIF issue?

• Hi all,
    I hope I don't get beat up for this. :) It may have been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything.
    Every now and then it seems that all my profiles (mostly higher gain, but not extreme gain) start to sound very very similar and almost fuzzy on the top end - kind of one dimensional instead of the full sound I am used to with the Kemper. I realized today that, in my case anyway, this could be related to SPDIF.
    - I record with SPDIF, but monitor the Kemper directly through the main outputs or headphones.
    - If my audio interface that the spdif is connected to is shut down and restarted - I'm quite sure this somehow effects the output on the Kemper. Not monitoring through the audio interface, but the Kemper main outs.
    - I've tried it twice now, and each time it seemed like all of the distorted profiles sounded almost the same - and thin.
    - Both times I did a Flash init and the Kemper came back to life and normal again.
    Has anyone else experienced this? Is it even possible for the SPDIF disconnection to effect the internal processing in the Kemper?
    Just curious. :)

• I just did it again (on purpose) and there is no doubt it changes something if I have SPDIF out connected to the in on my interface at 44.1K - and then unplug my interface or reset it. The interface defaults back to internal clock. At that point, playing the Kemper through the main out to monitors sounds fizzy and almost like it uses the same cab on all profiles. Even if I resync the interface clock to 44.1, it still has the issue. If I do a flash init - the Kemper returns to normal.
    Very strange. It could be my setup. I am using a Scarlett 6i6 second gen interface.
    No more SPDIF for me. :)

• Hi All -
    Well, I solved it (and I feel dumb).
    Just to recap:
    - Kemper SPDIF into interface SPDIF IN.
    - Monitoring through headphone out or master outs.
    -When interface was off/unplugged - Kemper profiles all sounded the same and fizzy.

What I forgot to mention was that from my interface outs, I have them going to the Kemper return/alt inputs for monitoring my DAW. I do this because I like to hear my guitar direct from Kemper. :). So in the mixer for the interface I would mute the SPDIF in to prevent returning the signal to the aux on the Kemper.

So using my headphones, I unplugged the interface. So now I should have been hearing just the guitar through Kemper as normal, with nothing else connected (other than the SPDIF to a unplugged audio interface).
    Well - I realized that even though the interface was off - it still sends the SPDIF signal directly to the outputs of the interface (going to my aux on the Kemper). So I was getting an out of phase or double of the guitar. This did not happen when the interface was powered on because the SPDIF direct out was muted so this wouldn't happen. :)

I'm quite sure this was the cause. Right now the interface is unplugged from the computer, SPDIF still plugged in, and Aux in on Kemper turned down to 0. If I turn it up - the doubling effect occurs.

oh - and the re-init of the Kemper flash always fixed it because it would set the Aux in volume back to 0. :)

I don't know why I didn't realize this. I guess I will just monitor through my interface from now on and forget the Aux in part. :)

• Couldn't you just use the interface as the internal clock when not recording? I use the Kemper in the same way as you but have not experienced what you're talking about. Do you mean there is a doubling of the guitar, and it sounds kind of like a chorus effect? I get this when recording in my DAW but then I just mute the record enabled track.