Pickup Refining BLIND Test Free Mesa TR Profiles

• I know Kemper says the guitar used during refining doesn't matter but there was a discussion on it so I thought I would test.

In the attached Zip there are four profiles, one done with a Ibanez M80M tuned to a low Drop Eb, ESP LTD Tele with single coil and two are my preferred 6 string tuned as a 7.

Guess which are which.

Edit: Conclusion below.

• refining certainly matters in my experience, although sometimes it can be for the worse. The pickups will have minimal effect unless they're cheap ol' dirty things (can muddy it up) but without testing I'll assume they're all very similar with single coils being slightly thinner.

• I know Kemper says the guitar used during refining doesn't matter but there was a discussion on it so I thought I would test.

In the attached Zip there are four profiles, one done with a Ibanez M80M tuned to a low Drop Eb, ESP LTD Tele with single coil and two are my preferred 6 string tuned as a 7.

Guess which are which.

To be honest, they sound pretty much the same! But here is my guess:

012A & 012C - 6 string tuned as 7
    012B - Tele
    012D - Ibanez M80M

• Am interested in this and will definitely be taking a listen when I can. The manual states that the guitar shouldn't matter as far as I remember. I think it's more to do with tracking the amp/speakers response to output and therefore gain rather than frequency response. May be wrong though - Perhaps you could double check the manual for me schreckmusic ;)

• Am interested in this and will definitely be taking a listen when I can. The manual states that the guitar shouldn't matter as far as I remember. I think it's more to do with tracking the amp/speakers response to output and therefore gain rather than frequency response. May be wrong though - Perhaps you could double check the manual for me schreckmusic ;)

Perhaps you can PM me if you have any questions.

• Perhaps you can PM me if you have any questions.

Nah I don't have any questions, I have the manual which is a far better reference. For example:

'The refining process is actually independent of the type of your guitar. It is about adapting the distortion characteristics, as well as polishing the attack and dynamic response. The resulting profile will act and respond accurately no matter what guitar or pickup you use.'

I'm happy to share my source if you struggle to find it.

• To be honest, they sound pretty much the same! But here is my guess:

012A & 012C - 6 string tuned as 7
    012B - Tele
    012D - Ibanez M80M

Thanks for the guess!

I'll give a bit to see if anyone else wants to give input.

I do have some of my own conclusions, I don't think the specific guitar or pickups matter but what you play and how you play it matters. I could have made these sound very different even with the same guitar but with a lot of experience with refining I have a feel for getting what I am looking for. That said the differences I feel are with how certain notes react to my playing and I believe this is due to the refining style and not the guitar although since the 8 string does have lower strings it does matter when playing these notes, at the same time more attention needs to be given when refining with an 8 as the Kemper has more to learn and I felt the middle register of the guitar suffered in a way when I refined with the 8.

But as you can hear in the sample profiles, it is subtle. So subtle that I would say in most cases it doesn't matter and would be more marketing than anything.

• Yes, absolutely. If not told that they may sound different, I would think they were all exactly the same. And yes, for example, 012B sounded the thinnest therefore I guessed Tele. That could just be one tenth more treble in the profile and have nothing to do with the guitar! :P

• Yes, absolutely. If not told that they may sound different, I would think they were all exactly the same. And yes, for example, 012B sounded the thinnest therefore I guessed Tele. That could just be one tenth more treble in the profile and have nothing to do with the guitar! :P

A 6 tuned as 7
    B 8 string
    C Tele
    D 6 tuned as 7

B was the odd one out as when refining I focused on the really low and higher registers and the middle register suffered making it have less clarity and be a little thinner, though this was a pretty minimal difference. With greater care I think they could have be practically the same.

B did have a little better bloom with really low stuff, again, minimal.