Help me understand PowerHead volume, please!

• Hello all,

Relative newbie here, so go easy, please.

I have the PowerHead. 600w into 8ohms, correct? I've an 8ohm Matrix FR12P passive speaker which is 250w RMS ontinuous and 500w peak. I, frankly, don't understand this.

How loud can I risk pushing the Kemper? I presume that I control this using the Output button and then the main Master Volume knob will interact with the maximum setting I select there (under monitor, I presume)?

Next thing that puzzles me is Power Amp Boost. What is the point in this?

At advice welcome.

Thanks.

• I doubt it will be an issue. You can push it quite loud. It's 600w into 8ohms, 300w into 4ohms. I can't see you ever needing that amount of power, and if you did you'd surely be miking it up or going FOH.

Power amp boost is used to increase the volume if you need it. That's it. I really wouldn't worry about it.

• 600 watts in 8 ohms, 300 watts in 16 ohms, don't connect your kemper to a 4ohm cab, it does work but your kemper wil get hot and overheat. Kemper will shutdown automaticlly, it has got an overheat protection built in. But at some point you'll lose all your sound en the kemper needs to cool down for quite a while.
    So 8ohms is pico bello
    16 ohms is pico bello
    32 ohms should probably work to, but than it's only running @ 150watts.

• Just to clarify things related to 4 Ohm.

The overheat protection is generic, not limited to 4 Ohm. So if you run your Profiler at full throttle over a longer period, make sure there is sufficient air circulation. Otherwise the power amp (not the entire Profiler) could take a break to calm down.

Special to 4 Ohm is a power limiter. The power amp could even exceed those 600 Watt with a 4 Ohm load. To avoid that there is a limiter, which interrupts the signal, as soon as 600 Watt are exceeded. It's only for short moments. As soon as you reduce volume, the signal will return. It won't damage anything other than your tone. So you want to stay below that 600 Watt ceiling. Practically that is no limitation, if you don't run really insane volumes. The power limiter has no effect at 8 Ohm or 16 Ohm, because 600 Watt cannot be exceeded.

If you are concerned about your speakers, turn down Power Amp Boost still keeping sufficient juice for your solo. That's one way to stay away from maximum output power.

• I just bought a Matrix GT1600FX power amp but before that I ran the Kemper powerhead through two Mesa cabinets equaling 4 ohms and I never had an issue with the amp shutting down and my band plays very loud. Using two Cabs at 4 ohms is a lot louder than one 8 ohm cab.