Who's Gone Cabless For Live Shows?

• So I've had my Kemper since February and a bit of background, I play in 2 bands, one is a roots rock band and the other is a Symphonic Metal Band. I've done a few shows now with the roots rock band and the Kemper has worked quite nicely, however they were all gigs with a questionable PA and guitars were not mic'd. My other guitarist runs a Marshall Jubilee 1x12 live and I run a 2x12 cab with an ISP stealth. That's all worked great. My symphonic metal band did our first gig since I got the KPA and I ran in FOH and it was monstrous! We all use IEMs and one of my main outputs (both set to mono) feeds the in ear mixer. I should also note this band doesn't gig anywhere that doesn't have a legit PA setup for the reasons of running keys and symphonic arrangements via backing tracks with click. I didn't really even notice I had a cab on stage and none of my other bandmates noticed either because we all have sound isolating IEMs. This has prompted an interesting discussion about consolidating our mix/IEM rack with a Kemper and the bass rig. Anyone have any experiences doing something like this? I should also add I have nothing on the floor as our laptop that runs our clicks and backing tracks has all patch changes and effect changes programmed via MIDI. The only downside I see going this route is feedback, but that can be had via a PA wedge or an Alto TS212. Thoughts from the KPA community?

Also sidenote, my Bogner Uberschall hasn't left its road case since I profiled it in March :)

• There are two main ways of monitoring the KPA: the traditional way over a cab (KPA cabsim off) or via a more or less FRFR monitor (KPA cabsim on) as you've suggested i.e. with a Alto TS212. The main approach of the KPA is giving you the sound of a mic'ed cab. And what's the way to make a mic'ed cab audible? Right, PA for the crowd, wedges for the stage. In other words there's nothing wrong with going cabless on stage. :)

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• We're cabless since the first gig with processors. But we use the onstage monitors of the venue. Sometimes they're crap, sometimes they sound nicer than a 4x12 :D

I read a while ago, that Periphery switched from cabless/IEM to additional cabs, so the frontrow doesn't only hear drums ;)
    I'm unsure if this is necessary...

• Don't get my first post wrong, there are countless KPA owners who prefer the real cab solution. Some do like this more amp-in-the-room-feeling with this approach, some are only using a few sounds and don't need the variety the KPA offers. That's totally fine. But one should keep in mind, that a cab has a certain sound by itself. So if you're looking for the sound of a small Fender amp via a real Marshall 4 x 12 cab you'll probably won't get far. A FRFR monitor will give you authentic tones of almost any amp together with the (mic'ed) cab that was meant for this amp.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• My band switched to IEM. Using EDrums, X32 Mixer and Kempers this is just a dream setup. The only drawback like you said is creating feedbacks. I solved this by mounting a tiny mini amp like the marshall MS-2 on my mic stand. I use the monitor out to an A/B/Y Switch to have even it switchable. I really love it.

• Thanks guys,

For the roots rock band I like using a guitar cab with the poweramp (monitor out cab sim off). This works great, that said I just bought an X Air 18 for a PA head solution and I'm finding that gigging with no cab in this scenario is actually just fine. For my symphonic metal band my bassist and I are going to go cabless and just use our IEMs, although we're going to snag a couple inexpensive PA speakers for jamming at practice (mostly for songwriting scenarios where we aren't using IEMs). Despite being a lifelong tube amp fanatic I really can't say I miss the reliability issues, volume, or weight of a tube amp since moving to the Kemper. If anything it's made so many more tonal options possible and helped to dramatically control stage volumes.

• Hey, Metal Horse, I cannot believe how close your situation is to mine!

I play in a symphonic metal band as well and recently switched to a 6U rack with Kemper and XR12 + in-ears. I have not used a cab for the last three shows and it's working out beautifully!
    In my case I connected the headphone out into XR input for the in-ears and FOH gets main out L. This way I get to use Kemper's 'space' feature for easier headphone sound and both headphone out and XR in are in the front of the rack, so a simple pedal patch cable connects them nicely.

I have a question for you about in-ear amplification. I am fully wireless and things are working well but the rest of my band is still wired and I find that when I lower the XR bus out to avoid distortion, the headphone amps they use are not loud enough (https://media.music123.com/is/…4000000000-00-750x750.jpg).

What do you guys use for amplification?

• I'm not sure what headphone amp our drummer is using, but the rest of us are using galaxy audio as-900s. I've got my Kemper setup as follows (signal path wise)

-Main Outs both set to mono
    -Main Out volume set to -15.4 unlinked
    -Main Out Left to in ear mixer rack (presonus)
    -Main Out Right to FOH
    -Monitor out with cab sim off into ISP Stealth into Mesa Vertical 2x12
    -MIDI in from mix computer or for the other band a Behringer FCB1010 into the MIDI in

I found that the main XLR outputs are hotter than hell on the Kemper and I get much better results taming that down with the volume levels unlinked at -15.4. Also another note is that to get my Kemper to not sound like a chainsaw on gain channels in the in ears I spent probably 10 hours with it plugged into Logic with a graphic EQ and analyzer open and dialed a mix ready tone with HP and LP and several notches. Once I got the sound I liked I recreated this in the graphic EQ and saved it as a preset on the Kemper. All of my live and studio patches use this so I can run pretty much flat into anything and it sounds good. When I was working on this EQ I used my IEMs off the headphone out with no space and checked it against a pair of Mackie CR5s. The first 2 weeks I owned the Kemper I was beyond frustrated trying to get "my sound" right, but patience paid off and this thing sounds amazing. So amazing I'm going to buy a 2nd one...and maybe even sell my Uberschall.

• Cannot speak for metal. I went cabless with KPA from day one. Using IEM. Best thing ever. Sidenote: you do not hear the singers argue during the songs and blaming the FoH for not hearing themselves over the wedges on stage. So I keep smiling during the songs waiting for the drummer to kick in the next song.