Am I doing this right

• Can you tell me if I am connecting everything right in order to make a profile of an amp...

I plugged my amp's input to the kempers direct output/send using an instrument cable

I plugged my SM57 XLR cable to the Return

I plugged my CLR Atomic Wedge using an instrument cable to the Main left jack.

Then I turned the chicken head knob on kemper to the profile option and began to profile the amp. Step 1 told me check the volumes of both the kemper and reference amp, so using my ear I just turned the volume up on my CLR Atomic Wedge until the volume was approximately the same as the reference amps. I did not touch the Return Level volume knob at all (I am not sure what this knob does because when I do turn it one way or the other I don't hear any audible volume changes in the reference amp or the CLR.

Then I go to the next page and hit start profiling And it goes through all the weird noises.

Then I refine the profile a couple times and then I am done.

Am I doing this right? I have head phones but I have not used them for anything in this process. Let me know if there is a reason I should be using them.

Also, after I made my profile, my profile seemed to have a lot of white noise coming out of my CLR speaker, but when I switch over to the reference amp there is no white noise. Can anyone explain this?

Also, I use my amps standby switch to mute the reference amp in order to hear the Profile coming out of my CLR by itself. Is this appropriate to do?