Question about stereo miking...

• So as it is, if I want to use 2 mics on my cab I have to blend them into mono it seems. Since I usually mic up an amp with a stereo pair of mics and pan them, is there any plan to allow for stereo profiling? I actually assumed this was already possible but unless I am mistaken it is not.

• KPA is mono, only the fx are stereo. Doing what you suggest would mean using dual cabs and it is not possible.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Maybe if the cab sim was disabled and only the captured cab was in the profile? Since the effects are stereo, it sure would be nice to be able to use stereo profiles. Just a thought.

• Maybe if the cab sim was disabled and only the captured cab was in the profile?

??? sorry, I don't get it....there are no cab sims in the KPA, only ("captured") cab profiles...I need another coffee, my brain is still slow this morning... :sleeping:

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• ??? sorry, I don't get it....there are no cab sims in the KPA, only ("captured") cab profiles...I need another coffee, my brain is still slow this morning... :sleeping:

Sorry, that is what I meant - in other words, the ability to change the cab would be disabled, and you would only have the profile of the stereo miked cab as captured. I don't know if that is even possible with the technology - I am just not clear as to what would prevent it from being possible.

• Sorry, that is what I meant - in other words, the ability to change the cab would be disabled, and you would only have the profile of the stereo miked cab as captured. I don't know if that is even possible with the technology - I am just not clear as to what would prevent it from being impossible.

I think only Ckemper can definitely answer this question. The problem I see is that: same cab + 2 mic in this case means 2 different cab profiles running in parallel and the unit only has 1 cab slot. TylerHB did a lot of dual mic'd cab profiles, but he uses a mixer and they are summed in mono.
    It would be nice to have what you're asking..... :whistling:

• I've always like stereo miking of a real guitar cab too. It gives a nice full open sound to the guitar across the stereo spectrum with once channel fairly close miked and the other a few feet away to give it some space to breath, but you can't do that with the KPA.

I tried various room miking techniques with the KPA with one mike yesterday and the results are not that good to be honest. When you shove a mic up against the speaker you get excellent results, but put the mic the other side of the room and the resultant profile is not that good at all, doesn't sound the same as the real mic from across the room at all.

Anyone else had any success with room micing for their profiles?

• by the way, when I attempted room micing I was using JoeMeek VC3Q mic preamp and an Avantone CK-7 condenser mic, so that should have given very good results. The "live" sound in the monitors was of course excellent, but the profile did not come close.

• by the way, when I attempted room micing I was using JoeMeek VC3Q mic preamp and an Avantone CK-7 condenser mic, so that should have given very good results. The "live" sound in the monitors was of course excellent, but the profile did not come close.

Maybe, if you put a second mic closer and you blend both from the board, it works. AFAIK this is how Tyler did it

• Maybe, if you put a second mic closer and you blend both from the board, it works. AFAIK this is how Tyler did it

No, all the cab profiles i did were more or less close miking. Using multiple mics with different distances to the speaker can be very challenging, because phasing problems are likely to occur, at least when both signals are clearly audible. A Phase correlation meter on your DAW can be very helpful when playing with this.

When did i some of my profiles i got some nice results by slightly shifting the realtive mic distance and having one signal a lot softer in the mix. The resulting phasing differences create comb filter effects which can work like a eq. Sometimes this might add a nice "signature" or "attitude" to a tone. Sometimes it works great and even a with milimeter difference it sounds like shit. In fact this is the point where the whole story gets a little "esotheric". The KPA is really the ultimate playground for all this because those sounds can now be reproduced with high quality while in a normal situation you just couldnt recreate a great sound because there are just too many sensitve variables.