"how to" connection guide - Apollo Twin MKII/Countryman DI box/Kemper rack profiler no power

• i have this setup, and want to do the following.

My setup is, UAD Apollo Twin MKII, Kemper profiler rack no power, Countryman 85 DI box.I want to do the following, i want to capture the best DI possible while using the Kemper as monitoring, in this i mean how do i best connect everything.

and while i am capturing i want to be able to capture the Kemper tone as well. Soo two tracks in my DAW, 1 DI 1 Kemper. (and monitor the Kemper amp while I am recording so i don't get any latency while playing)

How do i connect all this and do i need to be aware of certain cable types in certain points? should it be TRS between Kemper/Apollo/DI or is a normal ¼ jack fine?

I tried searching the forum and manual and couldn't find what I was looking for so sorry in advance if this is something that has been answered.

• You have a problem. Your guitar cannot use one cable to connect to both the Kemper and the outboard Countryman 85 DI. You can connect the guitar directly to the input on the KPA or the DI, but there is no way to connect to both with the Hi Z output of your guitar at the same time. Without adding hardware to split the signal from your guitar, you should use the KPA as your DI. Unfortunately, the Countryman 85 does not have a way to split your guitar's output.

I own a KPA, an Apollo 8 interface, and a Radial JDV Mk3 DI. I connect my guitar to the JDV. It has a balanced XLR output for its DI function. I connect that to a mic input on my Apollo. The JDV has a hard bypass (essentially a mult) output that I connect to one of my Apollo's Hi Z inputs. The bypass output has no buffer on it. I use the Apollo's Hi Z input as a DI so I can use UAD Unison amp sims and pedals. By using this setup, I get an unprocessed DI (via the JDV's XLR) and Unison processing through the Apollo's Hi Z input.

The JDV also has two outputs with what Radial calls a 'drag control'. It has a circuit that adjusts the output to very closely match the way my pickups react to amp loading. I use one of the outputs to connect to my KPA, the second goes to my pedalboard or my Mesa Boogie Rectifier Recording Preamp. I use standard guitar TS cables to connect the bypass to the Apollo and the buffered output to the KPA. I get great results this way.

Your KPA is unpowered, so to monitor it, you can either connect to a power amp and speakers, or to powered studio monitors or powered PA speakers. Since I have multiple signals going to my Line 6 L2M powered PA speakers, I use a Mackie Onyx mixer to integrate my KPA, Roland VG-99, etc.

If you plan to use a UAD Unison amp sim, you must connect your guitar to the Hi Z input on the Twin. You will get the Unison hardware and software interaction that way. Of course, you won't be able to connect to the KPA at the same time, unless you route the signal to the KPA via one of the Twin's outputs. If you do that, you will be doing an extra D/A and A/D conversion. Unfortunately, you do not have a choice with the equipment you have.