Does anyone else use their KPA and a 4x12 mic'ed instead of direct to FOH live?

• I was just curious if anyone else does this.
    I was learning how to use my Kemper Power Head but didn't read the reference manual yet. I had a show coming up so I used my Engager 4X12 cabinet (vintage 30's) with a Rectifier profile and turned off the cabinet button on the front. Like I said I didn't learn enough about the amp yet. I EQ'ed the crap out of it until it sounded awesome. Fast forward to the day of the show and during sound check I started by plugging directly to FOH and thought I could hit the cabinet button and all would be good. Of course it sounded terrible so I just mic'ed my 4x12. It sounded amazing mic'ed and the show was fun with plenty of compliments on how good my sound was.
    I know now what I did wrong, or at least what I think I did wrong but haven't fixed it since the sound is great how I'm currently running it .
    What I should have done was never touched the cabinet button on the front , turned it off in the main menu and EQ'ed the Monitor out for my 4x12 so I could plug direct to FOH and had great sound on both ends. I will eventually do that but I hate to have to rebuild my performances on the Kemper and scared of losing the great sound I have now. And just for reference I just played my 2nd live gig ever and have a bigger show coming up in September and kind of scared of changing it now.

What I wanted to know is : Does anyone use their Kemper this way ? And if you have any tips on recreating my performances easier I'm all ears..

Thanks ,

Tony
    (Scatterbrain T)

• Sure their will be people doing this, their are tons of people here who play through a real cab. And the Kemper is flexible enough to switch back and forth between guitar cabs and direct out on the fly. But when you misuse its featureset in your rigs, you'll lose some of the advantages of your modelling amp. I can image there will be a day when you run into a club with such sound restrictions or reflections that the soundtech will ask you if its possible to go direct out, and maybe even mute the cab...

But what exactly did go wrong? Was the cab maybe back "on" on some rigs (because you didnt turn it of in the main settings)? it seems to me that turning the cab sim of in the monitor out, and zeroing the EQs should suffice?

• For your second gig I'd recommend the following:

Leave your stage sound as it is. (i.e. use the prefered profile and your Engager 4X12 cabinet but remove the mic).
    If it's possible during soundcheck take your KPA to the FoH-console and link it to the Mixer through the Main-Outs of the KPA. Now use your prefered recifier-profile and twiggle through all cabs and listen until you and the sound-guy are satisfied. Lock the cab-button.
    After then take your KPA back to stage link the Speaker-Out to the Engager-cab with "cab-off button" engaged and the main outs to the stage-box and have fun.