KPA power cable

• Received my KPA today,(USA) and I'm wondering why it ships with a 2 prong power cable for USA use? Any reason for a 2 prong cable? It also comes with an European power cable too, which of course no one will use in the USA/Canada, Maybe Kemper's packing department could save them a few bucks by shipping the appropriate cables to different countries no? :) So I got 2 cables, and won't use either, because I think I should be using a 3 prong cable, unless there is any specific reason to use the 2 prong that came with it??, anyone else got the same cables?

• I am in the UK and I got one cable, with 2 prongs on it - we use 3 prong cables here by default so had to purchase an adaptor........... :S

• I am in the UK and I got one cable, with 2 prongs on it - we use 3 prong cables here by default so had to purchase an adaptor........... :S I should add that I ordered the KPA from Thomann in Germany.

• Is the european KPA even capable of running in USA 110 Volts? If you ordered from Thomann you might get a 220 Volts Unit...

The Cable itself should not be Problem. When i ordered a Marshall from the UK, i just used spare PC power cable with the correct pin layout for Europe. So this will wortk for you too if the device has the correct voltage.

• Just curious, but is the 2 prong connector polarized (one prong bigger than the other?).

The KPA is labeled for 100 - 240 volt so euro and US units should be the same.

The connector on the KPA is a standard grounded IEC connector, you can get a grounded cable on Amazon, Home Depot, etc (just search for 'IEC cable'). I've never seen a grounded IEC to non-grounded IEC cable, this could be a collector's item :) Many items with a wall wart are not grounded (including smaller audio interfaces), so the KPA might not require grounded power even if it does have the grounded IEC connector on the back.

Has anyone using a KPA had troubles with ground loops with other audio equipment when using a grounded cable?

• Yes the 2 prongs, one is bigger then the other so it only plugs in one way, and you raise a good question about possible ground loops, hope someone officially from KPA steps in and let's us know what the deal is..

• I am in the UK and I got one cable, with 2 prongs on it - we use 3 prong cables here by default so had to purchase an adaptor........... :S I should add that I ordered the KPA from Thomann in Germany.

I'm in UK and I've ordered quite a lot of gear from Thomann in Germany, and they always ship with two prong cable and I always have to get an adaptor....damn annoying. However, I bought my KPA from DV247 and that came with a standard UK 3 prong lead.

• I received 2 power cables with mine, both are exactly the same "3 prong". Maybe the guy chucking the cords in the boxes is on drugs.

You definitely need to use a cable that has a 3 pin plug (earthed), the KPA is a metal box, if a loose active wire dislodges and makes contact with the chassis with no earth/ground present it will NOT blow/trip a fuse/circuit breaker and you will be at risk of electric shock.

Edit: I just put the leads of my multimeter on the earth pin of the KPA and a chassis screw and got a reading of close to 0 ohms, so yeah, the KPA is indeed earthed and for a reason. Any adapters that allow a power cable with no earth to be attached to the KPA should be considered dangerous!

Edit: http://www.edisav.com/Wiki/ind…ce_Classification#Class_I

Edited 5 times, last by j450n ().