Noise when not connected to front input

• i noticed a well audible noise when having the unit running (headphones or main out) without anything connected to the front input. it sounds like digital hiss/noise. it seems to arise from the amp/distortion simulation since it's audible on distorted patches, but barely audible with clean ones.

so far i've tried using different cables (XLR and mono 1/4") as well as lifting grounds, but this doesn't seem to help.

if i mute the input in the tuner, for example, it's gone. otherwise it's always there.

anyone else experience this? is this normal, or do i have a faulty unit?

i'm on 1.0.4, btw

• It's normal. I have this one too - and others have reported this as well.
    If I'm not mistaken, the noise even gets a bit louder, the longer you leave the KPA on with nothing plugged to the input.

I dunno if this has been reported to support yet - anybody knows?

• Have you powered on your unit with nothing connected at all (other than the outputs)? That should bring up the noise.

Never did, but, as said, not really relevant to me because the G50 is always connected, in studio or on stage. For you guys, if you need to let the unit on with nothing plugged in and do not want the noise, you have two choices: turn the master volume down or switch to tuner.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Yeah, it's not really that big of a deal to me, as I always have the cable plugged in the front input. I just tested it back then when someone reported this - but it's there. No idea if someone has opened a support ticket about this though

• I get this too. I find it very irritating. A real amp certainly doesn't behave like this !

• For you guys, if you need to let the unit on with nothing plugged in and do not want the noise, you have two choices: turn the master volume down or switch to tuner.

I use a rather unusual method, I plug a guitar into the input when my KPA is switched on. ?(
    Another very strange thing I do is, I turn the Noise Gate to zero when there's no noise to remove. ?(

:thumbup:

• I use a rather unusual method, I plug a guitar into the input when my KPA is switched on. ?(
    Another very strange thing I do is, I turn the Noise Gate to zero when there's no noise to remove. ?(

:D :D :D :D I believe they were talking about leaving everything on during a break or after setup, normally your guitar is not plugged....in deed a funny method your one, should go in the tipps and tricks section... :thumbup:

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• it's not really a big issue. i was just worried i might have a faulty unit, or if something went wrong with the last firmware update.

• I use a rather unusual method, I plug a guitar into the input when my KPA is switched on. ?(

I don't use the noisegate at all. I have never liked noise gates as they suck your tone and sustain which badly affects dynamic playing. Of course if you use tons of high gain, then the noisegate is useful, but I don't :)

• I get this too. I find it very irritating. A real amp certainly doesn't behave like this !

Most real amps have input jacks that short when nothing is plugged in to get rid of noise. If they didn't have shorting input jacks you would hear noise with no guitar plugged in - especially on high gain amps.

Does the KPA's noise happen on clean patches as well as high gain?

• This sounds like a hardware problem - I really hope that the Kemper folks had enough on the ball to use a shorting input jack on the guitar input...

All modelers known to man 8o

• Dear Radley,
    you wrote:

Quote from Radley

This sounds like a hardware problem - I really hope that the Kemper folks had enough on the ball to use a shorting input jack on the guitar input...

If you go to the diagnostic mode, there is an indicator whether something is plugged in into input or not. So they might not have a shorting jack, but they are definitely able to switch off the signal path.
    Best regards
    DrTT