Microphones, Beyerdynamic M160 and Royer R121

• Both are great mics but somewhat similar so not usually blended.
    The 160’s pattern isn’t a figure 8 so you’ll get less room vibe. The Royer can be used
    Forward (darker) or backward facing (brighter). 121 blends very well with other mics like a 57 or condenser.

Be careful, the 160 can’t handle the loud amps like the Royer can and you can easily damage the ribbon.

These profiles go to 11!

• Awesome, thanks Cili, have both of those. Was thinking the m160 and r121 would be great together from the clips I have heard. Looking forward to experimenting.

Are you using a preamp with the mics? I mostly have not used a preamp. Will break out the Grace from the ribbons.

Honestly, I didn't like the combo with these 2 mics together. Maybe it was me :) but m160 on it's own is great. Like it more than R121 but might be just a matter of taste.

I use preamps all the time. Got used to it I think...

• Great info. I use to profile at ear splitting volume but I am not sure I will keep it up.

There are many that love the m160 and I got this one for them. The R121 is more for myself as I really liked the clips I have heard. All preferable for sure, but at this point it is just a guess for me :)

Any recommendations for preamps?

Neve 1037 & UAD Solo 610 are my 2 go to preamps.

• Great River preamps works well with Royer and dynamic mics since they have a lot of clean gain and more extended high frequencies than a Neve, which is also never a bad choice, just more expensive.

API are a classic guitar pre and I’d love to have a Chandler TG2 for tracking guitars.

Look for a low ohm option on the pre. It’ll mate up better with mics that have a low ohm output like ribbons and dynamics.

Be sure to not have the phantom power on when using ribbon mics! And store them more carefully too.
    Ribbon mics also take Eq really well so experiment a lot. Just remember the Royer is built to be a tank and the M160 is a more traditional fragile ribbon. Never blow into them and you can angle them a little so they don’t receive a direct blast from a speaker.

Royer’s site has a lot of great info and videos about recording guitars. Have fun!

These profiles go to 11!

Edited 2 times, last by Guavadude ().