Kemper through Audio Interface to powered monitors

• Hi all,

I hope someone can help me out a little here.
    I'm not an advanced guitarist, and my interest in technology is fading as the years go by..

Anyway, I bought a Kemper toaster which I'm very happy with. I got myself some powered monitors in order to replace the valve eating Marshal power amp I had as I'm not at performer skill level.
    I recently also purchased a Komplete Audio 6 Interface (Native Instruments) hoping that I can play my spotify music through the same monitors as the Kemper is using. My idea was to be able to practice playing to my favorite music in a all-in-one set up.

My trouble is; I can't seem to be able to get sound from my Kemper through the audio interface and out through the monitors.

My current skill level does not 'support' recording. It doesn't bother me to open some applications on my computer, but I want to be able to practice unhindered by recording software and other pains..

The Kemper is connected to the audio interface via S/PDIF, and I see the S/PDIF light shine on the KA6, but no sound through the monitors. The monitors work fine with Spotify or Youtube through the KA6.

I tried to connect the Kemper to the monitors through XLR's which works great, but then i can't play Spotify through the monitors at the same time..

Maybe I have missunderstood some basic things here?

I have most likely skipped something in the set up..

Any help is appreciated, thanks ?(

• Hi

Make sure OK the Output setting for the Kemper you have set up the Spdif output correctly.

Try going to your sounded settings in Control Panel on your PC and ensure you have the correct card selected and that you have set the inputs and outputs to the Komplete.

You may have to activate the spdif inputs

Hope that helps

Mike

• Hi, and Thanks Mike,

I've selected the KA6 in Windows Control Panel, so that should be OK. Playing music from Spotify or YouTube works fine, and Ive disabled the Windows systems sounds from going to the monitors.

It might be that I haven't configured the output correctly on the Kemper. Noticed that S/PDIF is on auto when I pressed the Output button,
    I'm going to try to connect the Kemper main outs to the KA6 inputs 1 & 2. maybe that'll help.

• There must be some type of routing software with the KA6. You need to select the KPA as the Master Clock for the SPDIF signal. Also by looking at the pics of the KA6, 5/6 are the input/output for SPDIF, and would should be able to adjust the level in/out of that source which would be through the software for the KA6. Also set the the sample rate to 44.1kHz on SPDIF.

• The problem with running 'Windows Sound' through your KA6, is that sometimes Windows automatically changes the sample rate to 48KHz, which changes the KA6 sample rate. That would then mean that your Kemper, which is locked at 44.1KHz, won't work, because the KA6 is now set to 48KHz.

If you go to Windows Control Panel, then find Sound, locate your default playback device with the green check mark, which should show the KA6 - highlight the KA6 and click properties, then click the Advanced tab (shown in the picture below). If yours is showing 48KHz, and you can hear Spotify through your monitors currently, then you've located the problem why the Kemper can't be heard, the KA6 has upped it's sample rate to 48KHz. Windows Sounds must also be locked at 44.1KHz.

To fix this, change the Windows Sound dropdown box that says 48KHz, and select 44.1KHz 24-bit stereo. That should allow you to hear Windows Sound and your Kemper together.

If you only require playback function from your PC, you could also try connecting the monitors directly to the Kemper, then use the outputs from the KA6, in to the AUX in the back of the Kemper.

• Thanks both Zapman and JSB!

The tip about Windows was spot on. In windows it was set to 48K.

How do I know which software to set the inputs through S/PDIF? the software package included a bunch of stuff (Guitar Rig 5, Kontakt 5, Reaktor, 5 Traktor 2, Cubase LE 9, . Seems like there are settings in all of them)

Haven't gotten hold of extra cables to connect to the TS inputs yet. I hope to get some cables tomorrow.

• In a quick read on the Native Instruments forum there seems to be a program called Komplete Audio Control Panel. This would be the place to start for settings on your audio interface.

• Just took a peek in the manual :) Couldn't find a dedicated mixer, so it seems you must activate Direct Monitoring in Komplete's front panel (or control panel). Seems like this only applies for input 1/2 though...

• Ha, ha, I got it to work now.

I made 2 changes that I think fixed it:

• In windows, control panel, sound, recording device, - set the S/PDIF KA6 as default output, checked the Listen to Device check box
    • KA6 control panel, sample rate 44.1KHz, and external S/PDIF digital sync source 5|6 on

Thanks - I'm quite happy now :)