Direct profile tricks? Help!

• OK, before I send my powered KPA in for a check up, I just want to make sure I am not missing something…I have to be missing something…
    I am having real issues with direct profiling… I can do three direct profiles in a row (obviously with the same amplifier) and not change anything, and they all sound different…
    The definition is different, the level is different, the tone is completely different,
    I have everything set up properly regarding direct box through the amp into direct box out of the direct box into the cabinet etc. etc. etc.
    I choose ‘no cabinet’, but each time it will show -26 DB or -15 DB or -6 DB…etc etc randomly... Should I be setting that at a level which will sound better?
    I have tried refining techniques, I have tried no refining…I have a DB metre and as soon as I am done profiling I play the profile at the EXACT same volume through the exact same 4×12 cabinet…
    I have tried eight different DI boxes and I currently use the countryman type 85 which is the best of the ones I’ve tried, I am getting profiles about 70- 80% close to reference amplifier, but I want 95%!
    Anybody with some direct profiling expertise, I would so appreciate it ...
    I have read this website info on profiling many times and some of the stuff mentioned, I don’t even think it’s possible… Like he mentions unhooking the reference amp during the profiling process…?
    http://foobazaar.com/wikpa/ind…title=Profiling_Tutorials
    I don’t know… I just don’t know, any help would be appreciated!
    Thank you guys!

• Hi!

I choose ‘no cabinet’, but each time it will show -26 DB or -15 DB or -6 DB…etc etc randomly... Should I be setting that at a level which will sound better?

Are you referring to the "Return Level" (soft knob 4) being at those DB settings?

If so, I too find that the Kemper will set that level automatically and it can be different even when you don't think you have made any changes to your levels at the amp to be profiled, in between making several profiles.

According to the Profile Guide manual page 15: It simply says to "Set “Return level” (soft knob 4) so that the level of the reference amp roughly equals the level of the internal sound of the Profiler. "

I have done some Direct profiles on my Orange amp, also taking several profiles in a row, with no changes to amp settings, and while the return levels might in some cases be different, the resulting profile did not sound different as you described (ie "tone is completely different"), so can't offer any assistance on that point, sorry!

• Thanks guys, MentaL… help me understand what you mean, bro…
    Do I need to watch the top left light on the kemper even when I am profiling?
    Are you speaking of the light that turns red When you are overloading the KPA? If so, I have no idea how someone would profile a Marshall 100 W non-master volume head?! The volume I am profiling at is WELL under 100 DB... The amplifiers I have profiled so far all have master volume switch our set at around ‘1’ out of 10…

• Thanks guys, MentaL… help me understand what you mean, bro…
    Do I need to watch the top left light on the kemper even when I am profiling?
    Are you speaking of the light that turns red When you are overloading the KPA? If so, I have no idea how someone would profile a Marshall 100 W non-master volume head?! The volume I am profiling at is WELL under 100 DB... The amplifiers I have profiled so far all have master volume switch our set at around ‘1’ out of 10…

Yes, watch them both . Don't let either go red if possible and yes that's what I'm speaking about. It's basically a "TOO LOUD" notification . Profiling heads usually goes into another pre-amp so you'll route the levels of that into the KPA.

• OK, thanks… I have had profiles stop and warning message that the signal is too strong and the K PA is being overloaded… I just thought as long as it didn’t do that, I was fine…

• Do the ‘Kemper Amp’ and ‘Reference Amp’ buttons work when doing a direct profile? Am I hearing exactly what the profiler is saving?
    Someone here, I can’t remember who, told me that when direct profiling you’re hearing the reference amp with both buttons… (which makes sense), as it is definitely not what is getting saved because when I pull it up in browse it sounds and feels different, icepick brittle highs / not same body/ girth, not smooth like reference amp...
    The low end and depth and meaty tone is cut off and the fizz is overpronounced, it’s so frustrating.
    (I match the volume exactly…)