Clean Profiles Slightly Distorted In Headphones, Not Through Power Amp or Into PA

• Hi All,

As the title says I am hearing a slight distortion with clean profiles through my headphones. Brand new AKG K240 Studio headphones. It doesn't sound bad, it just sounds like just the slightest amount of undesired breakup if that makes sense.

I do not hear this kind of breakup when playing through my powered toaster into my guitar cab, in fact the clean profiles sound brilliant. There is a slight "popping" in the PA I get when striking a note aggressively when hooked up through the main outs into a mic input on the PA via XLR. However, I have ordered an S/PDIF cable which I assume will fix the latter problem since it seems to be an issue with popping over the top of what the A/D is capable of on the PA mic input (it's a DAW not a mixer) when playing aggressively.

What do you think could be causing this slight breakup when playing in the headphones? Turning the Clean Sens up just a bit on the input cleans it up a bit but I'm not sure exactly why.

Thanks!
    - Ken

• Hey Ken,

Having the same issue here.

Cabinet sounds fine. Studio monitors or headphones gives that slight breakup sounds in the clean profiles.

i have tried the following with no result:

changed cables
    changed guitars
    changed profiles
    changed clean and distortion sense completely up and down.
    disabled noisegate
    disabled amp section
    used different output on Kemper.

Now I have contacted Kemper support and hope they have solution.

I attached dropbox link so everyone can hear the problem. You hear me switching off amp section and the switching to other profile.

if anyone has a helping hand this would be greatly appreciated!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e2us…y%20in%20clean__.mp3?dl=0

Thanks!!

• Hey Guys,

I got things sorted out.

I recently bought brand new Adam A7x monitors. They where the problem. In the mid range they started distorting. Very strange especially for a monitor with this reputation.

I brought them back bought the HEDD 07. Awesome! No more breakup.

Damn this was strange!

To Ken, try a other set of headphones, and I think your problem will be solved.

Greets

Verry happy man now.

• I use the AKG K240 MkIIs and have not noticed any break up issues with clean profiles per se.

As far as why your cab doesn't have the breakup, remember that your cab is not FRFR so could well be "hiding" some frequencies that you are hearing on your headphones. Perhaps that's why?

Did you try a different set of headphones as well to rule out a faulty pair of headphones? And does this consistently happen with all clean profiles, not just a few?

• Sometimes headphones can seem to be more detailed than speakers especially because your ears are very close to the small "speaker" inside the headphone. Try with other headphones to see if it's still doing it or you can also turn up the volume in the monitors to see if you can hear any break up. If not, maybe you have a problem with your headphones or the headphone amp of the Kemper.