Making a unique sound

• I recently started playing with creating profiles. Until recently I just bought mine from the usual suspects (TAF mainly). But I wanted to get a sound that was unique to me. Or at least what I wanted to hear.

I liked the EVH 5150iii amp, so I rented one with a Bogner cabinet and called about 10 recording studios and asked if I could profile the amp through their professional recording gear. I got hit with a bunch of NOs across the board. One local studio owner even said "That API mixer I have is how I make my money. I can't let you just come in here and steal that sound." Really? It's not like the Kemper is capably of self-mixing the whole song. I laughed and kept dialing until I found my studio.

I ended up going there and I profiled the amp for about 2 hrs. He did all the good mic placement (SM57, Royer 121 and AKG 414). We profiled the amp in all the channels and varied which mics and preamps we focused on. It was actually a really cool experience to see how a real studio operates and how his thought process worked for delivering the sounds that I was trying my hardest to describe.

I think the end product was really good. I walked out with about 30 profiles through API preamps, Pultecs, etc. I strongly suggest thinking about doing this as you will have a unique snapshot of your favorite amps. No one will quite have what you do. Plus, you'll gain a better understanding of the recording process too.

• That was exactly my way of thinking for when I started all my packs. I also wanted to put a lot of profiles so people have many options with many mics and so that everyone can have their own sound by selecting a rig and editing it to taste if needed. If someone wants a specific amp that is not on the rig exchange or not in any commercial packs then I would recommend doing exactly what you did! Props to you!

• That was exactly my way of thinking for when I started all my packs. I also wanted to put a lot of profiles so people have many options with many mics and so that everyone can have their own sound by selecting a rig and editing it to taste if needed. If someone wants a specific amp that is not on the rig exchange or not in any commercial packs then I would recommend doing exactly what you did! Props to you!

I'll have to try some of your packs. I am always willing to admit when someone else is better than me at doing something like this. I always want to make my tone better and better to go along with the type of songs I write. I'll have to take a look at what you have. Any recommendations for a style that is more hard rock?

• I'll have to try some of your packs. I am always willing to admit when someone else is better than me at doing something like this. I always want to make my tone better and better to go along with the type of songs I write. I'll have to take a look at what you have. Any recommendations for a style that is more hard rock?

I would suggest trying out my free pack first. You can get it by subscribing in the free profiles tab on my website : One of my personal favorite is the Budda for hard rock!