Reamping > Latency

• Hello,

yesterday I´ve been testing reamping with the Kemper. It worked really fine after I got my RME mixer under control;)
    I used the analog way for reamping. And now I´ve got a question:

Will I get rid of the latency if I use SPDIF instead of the analog ins/outs?

• Ok, sorry. Just checked the roundtrip-latency of my RME Fireface and the I/O buffer was set to 256 samples which causes
    a latency of 23ms. I guess my problem hasn´t anything to do with the Kemper.....

• Hi,
    yes you have to keep in mind that both, the reamping roundtrip and the Kemper introducing some latency which you have to work with. The Kemper has a nice option in the output settings. You can set it to "fixed latency". With this on the Kemper always has the same latency and it's much more easier to layer different sounds.
    An easy way for aligning a re-amped track back to it's original position is to set a very short sample (on the grid) in front of the DI track and record this through the re-amping chain. After you're finished with the re-amping you can grab your tracks and align the re-amped sample to it's original position. I use a noise signal for this. After re-amping I use the "tab to transient" function of my software, cut out the part in front and move the track back on the grid. And I don't have to care about changing my buffer settings in the interface.

• Hi,
    yes you have to keep in mind that both, the reamping roundtrip and the Kemper introducing some latency which you have to work with. The Kemper has a nice option in the output settings. You can set it to "fixed latency". With this on the Kemper always has the same latency and it's much more easier to layer different sounds.
    An easy way for aligning a re-amped track back to it's original position is to set a very short sample (on the grid) in front of the DI track and record this through the re-amping chain. After you're finished with the re-amping you can grab your tracks and align the re-amped sample to it's original position. I use a noise signal for this. After re-amping I use the "tab to transient" function of my software, cut out the part in front and move the track back on the grid. And I don't have to care about changing my buffer settings in the interface.

Yes, this works very neatly :)

In Logic you can actually draw a spike directly on the waveform, extremely short, and then use that for aligning. I'm sure other daws have this functionality as well.

• An easy way for aligning a re-amped track back to it's original position is to set a very short sample (on the grid) in front of the DI track and record this through the re-amping chain.

In Logic you can actually draw a spike directly on the waveform, extremely short, and then use that for aligning. I'm sure other daws have this functionality as well.

Thanks!! Both ways seem to be good technics to relocate the track to its original position! So I will not care about the latency anymore and just mark the positions.
    Have a great one!