SPDIF/reamp clarifying question

• Evening all

When using reamp via the analog cables with my UR824 i would do the following:

Guitar into Kemper - out Dry Out to Soundcard (Cubase channel set to record dry but output via the Soundcard) - out of Soundcard to return in on Kemper- out the Kemper mains to Soundcard (Cubase set to record the returned wet signal)

This kept the Kemper dealings with the guitar signal process at all times so no external Reamp/Di was required.

Now I have just purchased an 18i20 and my question is can this same flow be achieved via the SPDIF without using the analog Dry Output (currently plugged into my FreqOut). What I mean is can I plug the guitar into the Kemper and record the dry out signal via SPDIF whilst hearing the processed signal.

How are you guys who use SPDIF recording the dry unprocessed signal?

Thank you.

Mike

• I think I may have partly solved this.

Guitar to Kemper - 1st audio channel in cubase set to SPDIF 1 mono input with output set to SPDIF 1 Mono output (the dry guitar I am playing live is now routed to audio channel 1 and outputted back to the Kemper over SPDIF 1 mono output so I can record dry.

SPDIF on Kemper set to Git/Master Left

2nd channel in Cubase set to input SPDIF 2 Mono input - output set to main monitors (this mean I can monitor the wet signal whilst recording the dry plus I can reamp the signal after recording)

My only problem here is this is only in mono. The final recording will be in mono unless. I keep changing the SPDIF output to Main Out when Reamping; this does not help when monitoring.

Is this how you guys use yours?

Mike

• The idea of reamping is that it has two phases:

1. you record your guitar dry and just need a monitor signal with an interim sound to control your playing
    2. you reamp and try to modify the sound settings; you repeat this phase until you have found the optimum; this delivers the final result which gets recorded

If you expect to have the final result immediately after you played the guitar, there is no need for reamping. In general, S/PDIF lines offer only two channels. During phase 1 one channel is occupied by the dry guitar. Consequently, the interim monitor sound can only be in mono. Alternatively, you could monitor using analog stereo outputs e. g. headphones connected to the Profiler. During phase 2 - the real reamping - you should then switch the S/PDIF Output Source to "Master Stereo", so that your final recording will be stereo.

By the way the Reference Manual includes a specific chapter "Reamping". This mono "restriction" during phase 1 is explicitly covered there.

• Hi mate

Sorry I may not have explained myself to well. It was late and I was trying to do this before going to bed.

I have been reamping for many years so the concept is fine with me. Also when using the Kemper in a "none digital" reamp way I had this working for months with no issue.

What I liked about the reamp via the main outs was the whole process was contained within the Kemper so:

Guitar into Kemper, signal from direct out to sound card, sound out of sound card to return in on kemper, main outs back to Soundcard. This process allowed me to record the dry signal and monitor the wet plus reamp as required without the need for a dedicated reamp box.

Now as I have effects in the loop I have had to start recording my guitar directly into my Soundcard and route out via a reamp box.

Now I am using SPDIF I was hoping to go back to the self contained route as mentioned above but this has not proven possible for a stereo signal.

So is the correct process now the following or am I missing something:

For stereo reamping

Guitar to Soundcard input - Cubase Channel 1 mono set to Audio Input - Output of Channel 1 to Kemper SPDIF Out L - channel 2 in cubase as SPDIF In Stereo with an output to Main Monitors

For mono:

Guitar to Kemper input - Cubase Channel 1 mono set to SPDIF In L (dry guitar) - Output of Channel 1 to Kemper SPDIF Out L - channel 2 in cubase as SPDIF In R (wet guitar) with an output to Main Monitors

I just feel like I am missing something to achieve a stereo reamp signal without using the Soundcard as a guitar input.

Sorry if I am not explaining it properly.

Mike

• Have you read my explanation above related to the two phases? You never need a reamping box and the cable connections stays always:

Guitar -> Profiler Front Input
    Profiler S/PDIF Out -> Soundcard S/PDIF Input
    Soundcard S/PDIF Output -> Profiler S/PDIF Input

While you record the dry signal (phase 1) you select Input Source "Front Input" and Output Source "Git / Master...." for the S/PDIF Out. Two mono signals. Yes, during this phase the processed signal is only mono, but this is not the signal for your final recording. It's just for monitoring purposes while you record the dry guitar. And if you think, mono is not sufficient for your personal monitoring during this phase, then you could connect headphones or powered monitor speakers directly to the Profiler during this phase.

Later while you reamp (phase 2) you select Input Source "SPDIF Input Reamp" and Output Source "Master Stereo" for the S/PDIF Out. Now you feed the dry guitar recording into the Profiler and receive a processed stereo signal in return. This is the core reamping process resulting in the final processed recording in stereo, which you can repeat as often as your like.

The Reference Manual includes a step by step roadmap.

• Hi

Sorry I did read your email but I was in work so I think I misunderstood.

So after recording I have to make a change on the Kemper to get the stereo signal. I may stick to mono as that worked without having to manually change any setting.

I will take a look at the manual too as there may be a gap in my understanding with SPDIF.

Thanks man, you helped a lot.