Di Box for tracks

• Hi, my friend is recording some guitar tracks for me and I am not really liking the sounds he is getting with a mic on his amp. Would it be possible for him to record his tracks and also record a Di track so I could reap his track if I am not happy with his recorded track from his with a mic?
    I am thinking it should work. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Which Di would be best to try? I saw a Radial Di Pro the other day at the store. Would that work?

Thanks Kevin

• Of course,
    almost every DI box has a "through" jack so you can plug into it, send the through output to an amp and take the XLR to the recording desk (or preamp)

it's common practise with bass guitar.

in terms of WHICH DI, that's so much a matter of taste and preference. There are hundreds to choose from; some are passive transformers, some are active circuitry, and some are valve/tube based to add some 'amp-like' flavour to the direct signal.

The Radial JDI is a great place to start and is very commonly well liked.
    that's what I'd recommend to start.

• I just watched a Youtube video and it said if the instrument has active electronics use a passive Di and if the guitar has passive electronics like say a Strat or tele you need to use an Active Di.
    Any truth to this?