Too much high end - Is there such a thing?

• OK guys - Here's another great chance for you to 'slam the new guy'. 8o I made some comments earlier about numerous profiles from the KPA sounding 'fizzy'. Upon a closer inspection, I believe it is not really fizz (unrelated high frequency background hash), but an overactivity/hypersensitivity in the ultra high frequencies, and this is more likely due to the way they were profiled and refined, than anything directly related to the KPA. There are numerous ways to correct this after the fact, but they can only go so far - some of the profiles seem trebly beyond hope! Perhaps it means being less high-end happy when we are making profiles (less treble on the amp or further from the center of the speaker cone)? The KPA has some amazing extended high frequency capabilities, but must we 'get drunk' on them?

Every day I use my KPA I am more impressed with it's potential - I hope it wins the 2012 new product award because it is certainly innovative and new!

That's my personal opinion - now back to the flames in waiting... 8o

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That brings me to this related question: How do we delete profiles we aren't crazy about from the KPA?

Thanks!

All modelers known to man 8o

• That brings me to this related question: How do we delete profiles we aren't crazy about from the KPA?

Thanks!

Use the BROWSE Knob,(top right on LCD) to first select the patch you want Delete, then you'll see on top left of LCD the switch lights up, under that switch on LCD you'll see DELETE.

• In the browser there is a delete profile button Hit delete then confirm.

As far as too much top end. Yup, I personally don't like overly bright ice picky amps. Some fizz and sizzle is ok for me as long as its not grating. I find the presence knowlb really able to kill high end frequencies pretty well. But if an amp is profiled too bright you are just going into repair mode. Ad like I said I prefer slightly on the darker side too because after I do all mixing it's easier to add in context.

Certain guitars will make the difference to. An amp dialed in an profiled for a darker les Paul may sound soo bright for a tele. That is why I have favorite patches that work with different guitars and if there is no hope I just delete the profile or pair it with a darker cab. Or the opposite if a patch is too dark

• I agree Radley. The top end to me is very wide and open which is a revelation to me.
    At first its easy to get carried away and put too much top end on profiles.
    Ive also found that its important to follow Kempers instructions on refining profiles (i.e. play chords hard to refine the transients) otherwise things can get weird on the top end when you dig in or play higher notes.
    Its all a learning process isn't it?

• OK guys - Here's another great chance for you to 'slam the new guy'. 8o I made some comments earlier about numerous profiles from the KPA sounding 'fizzy'. Upon a closer inspection, I believe it is not really fizz (unrelated high frequency background hash), but an overactivity/hypersensitivity in the ultra high frequencies, and this is more likely due to the way they were profiled and refined, than anything directly related to the KPA. There are numerous ways to correct this after the fact, but they can only go so far - some of the profiles seem trebly beyond hope! Perhaps it means being less high-end happy when we are making profiles (less treble on the amp or further from the center of the speaker cone)? The KPA has some amazing extended high frequency capabilities, but must we 'get drunk' on them?

I think this a very interesting point that i was also thinking about. Perhaps it is just the fact that from my experience the KPA is the very first modeling/profiling device that transports those frequencies like a real amp and thus makes overuse a little seductive. Myself being a hardcore "hi end fetishist" i always dial in huge amounts of treble and presence, which is "over the top" for many users. But it really helps cutting through a dense metal mix, which is the just music i do. For moderate rock and blues this might be totally useless. It the end it is all a matter of not only personal taste and music (sub)category but also the way you want to use your KPA. If you aim to have a realtistic "in the room" feel for some nice playalong feeling you might need somthing completely different from a tone to keep up with your -7db RMS loudness maximized metalcore mix.

Anyway, what really helped me to quickly get a tone i feel comfortable is to select a rig i like, set tone controls to neutral, and than search for a cab that gets me as near as possible. Then perhaps do a little finetuning after crosschecking to my other rigs and most of the time this is it.

• radley, you still confuse the kpa with a modeler or amp... the kpa is a profiler that captures a picture of a very specific recording/profiling using:
    - player and his strength of playing
    - his guitar with perhaps worn out strings and pickups with nickel caps and mahagony wood and and and
    - cables
    - amp with its settings and interaction with the used guitar and cable, and the player's all worn out ears
    - cab with its volume
    - room
    if this someone profiles his dull sounding guitar through his rig while his ears are already quite... used..., and you use his profile with a rather harsh sounding guitar and have "young" ears, you won't like that profile because it has way too much treble (for your ears). that's the story behind the profiling of the kpa and it's pros and cons.

• Well I certainly have much to learn about the profiling process - I'm hoping I will find effective ways to mic from a distance because I love that sound, and it usually diffuses the highs nicely. In the meantime, I have found that using the LPF after the amp does a good job of containing excess highs, but the peak setting must be very low or at zero - it is a somewhat different effect than cutting the treble or presence controls...

All modelers known to man 8o

• Mic position mic choice amp settings choice. We need to learn to record well before we can expect our profiles to sound well. I like some too end but not too much. Tills stud is the perfect balance to me with slight adjustments for different guitars

The Kemper is the only moddeller I have ever heard that replicate the top end so well.

• I sometimes wonder why no factory presets on whatever modeler have as much highs and presence as real amps have.
    And when you play with modelers only for a longer time you might forget how real highs have to be, how they seem to be too much when you play alone and how wonderful such a sound translates into a ful mix and what these highs can do for you on stage in a band context.
    Therefore, the availability of highs is one of the most important things about every gear to me. If something does not deliver enough highs, it's useless for me.
    So I wonder how highs can be too much? You can dial em out if they are too much or add a bassier, smoother or muddier cab if you like too. But when the profile is not deliviering high frequencies you can not add them anymore, no EQ on earth can make something louder that is not existing, it needs to be there first to be equalized then.
    Another thing is, that the KPA only takes copies of sounds of amps. If something is too sharp, the amp must have been like that and must have allowed such a setting of it's controls. It is just the sound of a real amp...wich is different from wrong settings on modelers, wich are wrong creations (except for some profiles of AFX-presets, these could have been weird before the profiling). Can any famous amp be a wrong creation? ?(