Volume

• I’m sure there’s a thread out there on this but I can’t find it so excuse the repetition if so.

I’m using a passive 1x12 60watt hellatone guitar cab. On my gig last night I found myself running out of master volume headroom. I don’t feel comfortable pushing the master volume bar past 75% as I’ve heard of people blowing up there guitar cabs.

I found when I raised the rig volume for the profile it had a greater effect on the overall volume than the master volume knob. The master volume is global for all Profiles and that’s what I want though.

Is there a way to increase the headroom on the master volume so I don’t have to raise the rig volume of the profiles to much? Naturally I raise the rig volume of my clean patches a few dB so it matches dynamically when switching from OD patches. I know In the output menu there’s a volume for each output but I’m a little confused on it.

Hopefully what I’m asking is all clear.

• Pick your loudest profile, mine is a particular lead patch. Make sure there are no effects with volume boosts (a number of professional profiles come with EQ blocks set flat but with a few db of post amp block boost or in the cab block) and make sure the output light is peaking when you play. I set mine by having the volume in the amp block on zero and use the front panel volume knob.

Set every other profile the required amount down from this and you should have a good healthy volume at the output. The master then shouldn't need to go too high but the actual value isn't that relevant; if you crank it up full with max boost but use a quiet profile, you won't blow a speaker. A 60w speaker will always be at serious risk of harm but should give warning before giving up the ghost.

• Naturally I raise the rig volume of my clean patches a few dB so it matches dynamically when switching from OD patches.

This is what the Clean Sense parameter in the Input menu is for. If you take a single profile and use the Gain knob to dial it from clean to distorted or vice versa, the overall volume shouldn't change. Depending on the output volume of your guitar, you may have to increase or lower the Clean Sense value to achieve this, but once you've set it to an appropriate value, you won't have to raise clean rig volumes anymore.

As to your question, I'd recommend taking the plunge into the Output menu -- it's not that complicated! :)

All those different volumes for different outputs can either be "linked", meaning that they are controlled by the Master volume knob, or "unlinked", meaning that you can set their volume in the Output menu but they don't change when you turn the Master volume knob. If you always use the same setup with a passive cab, it's convenient to unlink all the other volumes and only leave "Monitor volume" linked. That way you always have direct control over the output you actually use.

Another useful setting in the Output menu is the "Power amp boost", which adds an extra 12dB to the speaker output. That gives you a higher volume without turning the Master volume knob all the way up.

Don't forget, though, that volume is volume, whether it's coming from the Power amp boost or from turning the Master volume knob all the way up; and the volume bar on the screen is just a graphic. If you're uncomfortable raising it past 75%, using the boost to get more volume is kind of fooling yourself, because the resulting signal into your speaker will simply be louder, just like it would be if you went beyond 75%.

• Thanks guys! I raised the power amp boost to 12 db. I agree with what you're saying @Robrecht about the illusion of volume.

Only time I think any of us will run out of volume is if were rocking hard and aren't using a stage monitor up front facing us. I don't most people will perceive volume being maxed out if they have a monitor up front tilted.