The KPA's foundational amp/distortion model

• Every day I learn more about my Kemper - At this point I feel the KPA's foundational amp/distortion model is letting the whole platform down, as it is not warm or analog enough to be the master 'virtual tube amp' - I really hope the Kemper team will continue to hone this foundational centerpiece, as it effects every overdriven sound which emanates from this magic box - this becomes more apparent as the gain is increased. The KPA's frequency matching is *very* accurate, but the Amp engine does not distort in the same 'warm, friendly' way a tube amp does - IMHO that's why it can sound so similar, while feeling rather 'rigid'.

My 2¢ - Let the flames begin.

All modelers known to man 8o

Edited once, last by Radley ().

• The gain works just fine for me when adding to an already heavy distorted track. Where the gain doesn't work as well for me is for clean and light brakeup. Sounds more solid state. But that's why at this point it's best to take several profiles at different gain staging rather then expecting a single snapshot will represent the amp in all its range. When taking a few profiles it will much more accurately represent the amp. I try not to adjust the gain to far either way.

• Although I truly respect/value your opinion, I believe my original post is accurate - I only hope that the powers that be are open to suggestion... 8o

• The first thing I notice when I make a high gain profile is the *smoothness of distortion that is lost* between the Reference amp and the Kemper model - this does not have to be so in 2012! There are many digital modeling companies with very tubey-sounding amp engines, and there have been for many years now. The Kemper's main competitor, the Fractal AxeFX comes to mind, but there are *many* others who do it better as well: Pod XT, Pod 500 HD, Boss GT-10, GT-8, GS-10 etc...

This is in no way meant to be negative on the 'Kemper KPA Vision' (it's excellent), but only pertains to the current implementation of the Kemper Master Amp model - it really is 'behind the curve' for such an otherwise innovative product.

• I personally think modellers like the axe try to "fix" and make perfect the high gain stuff to much that it ends up being too smooth and unnatural. I have always had a problem with high gain patches in modellers until now. I think sometimes if we use moddelers too much, we forget what the real amps sound like, or should sound like. Moddelleritis. Which is why the kemper has some people who generally don't like moddellers, really interested in the kemper.

Besides if you want to smooth out a distortion, aim your mic more off axis...

but i agree that in general for most applications the gain knob can add unpleasantries and certainly not as functional as other modellers, but then again the kemper isn't really a moddeler, its approach is much different.

• Certainly not wanting to pick a fight here, but I KNOW Mr. Kemper can improve on this 'rather solid-state-sounding' master amp model that stands between today's sales and 'world domination' 8o

PS: Most honest KPA users will tell you that it's very hard to get a truly smooth, high-gain solo sound from the Kemper... it's simply the truth.

• Certainly not wanting to pick a fight here, but I KNOW Mr. Kemper can improve on this 'rather solid-state-sounding' master amp model that stands between today's sales and 'world domination' 8o

no fight picking at all. I just honestly think that people who live with a certain modeller, or modellers for a long time, forget what real distortion sounds like. I love love love raw amp distortion. I used modellers for years and you start to think you know good tone cause you get used to the idealized moddeller distortion at times, but I eventually was noticing my stuff really lacking in comparison to others posting their real amps. so I went back to amps. and like I said I think kemper captures distortion the best.

I mean if moddellers truly had the best sound, then why do most guitar players use amps? they are still very much relavant...

BUT I agree with you that the gain the kemper adds leaves stuff to be desired, and as I said, I really only use it for already heavily saturated sounds where you aren't noticing the solid stateness (then again most pedals are solid state), but def think it sucks on other patches. which is why I am glad users have posted different gain stages to work from...

I have a few patches that I like for leads, specially love the legacy patch.

I would love to hear your lead recordings though with the axe and then kemper and show what you like better about the axe and maybe someone can help you get that sound..

• I am just saying that although the general 'tone' I put into the Kemper is usually replicated on a frequency graph, it is not replicated in the quality/character of distortion, and that is the basis of the difference many people are sensing.

• there are *many* others who do it better as well: Pod XT, Pod 500 HD, Boss GT-10, GT-8, GS-10 etc...

We all agree with you, Rad.
    The Pod XT, Pod 500 HD, Boss GT-10, GT-8, GS-10 etc......are all better than the Kemper, they all have more realistic sounding 'tube amp' distortion than the Kemper....you speak the truth.

And, a Squier is a better guitar than a Tom Anderson.

:thumbup:

• Here is an example of the Patch I have been using for guitar solo stuff. its one of the legacy patches. I am not a shredder or great at solos, but I like this patch for me personally. I find it plenty fluid and able to do leads... at least for me.. And as I always like to show examples of what I like rather then just talk, here ya go...

http://www.energiestudios.com/Files/Legacy%20Solo.mp3

• I only hope Mr. Kemper will be more open-minded to such comments as mine - again, the Kemper is excellent at EQ matching, maybe the best ever! But the quality of distortion is very important if it is to 'fill in' for all the great amps being profiled. I am done with this thread and possibly this board, but I stand behind what I have said regardless.

Cheers to All!

Edited once, last by Radley ().

• I only hope Mr. Kemper will be more open-minded to such comments as mine - again, the Kemper is excellent at EQ matching, maybe the best ever! But the quality of distortion is very important if it is to 'fill in' for all the amps being profiled. I am done with this thread and possibly this board, but I stand behind what I have said regardless.

Cheers to All!

I wonder how much this boards discussions ate monitore by the development team. I would put it in the suggestion topic Might be the better place.

For me if you are using pods and boss moddellers as your basis for good distortion, well no offense but I must say I really don't share your taste in distortion then ad I doubt we will ever see eye TO eye when it comes to tone. But that's ok too

• Don't get upset Radley.
    All of these discussions you bring up are fun & interesting, if you throw punches then expect to get a couple of jabs thrown back at you...but it's all in a humorous manner, it's not meant to be hurtful or personal.

Are you really expecting Mr Kemper or any other Kemper owners to agree with you that the distortion characteristics of the Boss COSM modelling or Pods is better than the Kemper?

It's entirely possible that you've become used to the hi fi smoothness of for example Boss or Pod XT distortion and the Kemper distortion doesn't appeal to you.
    It doesn't mean it's the "truth" , it just means you personally don't like it.

• Here is an example of the Patch I have been using for guitar solo stuff. its one of the legacy patches. I am not a shredder or great at solos, but I like this patch for me personally. I find it plenty fluid and able to do leads... at least for me.. And as I always like to show examples of what I like rather then just talk, here ya go...

http://www.energiestudios.com/Files/Legacy%20Solo.mp3

Sounds beautiful to my ears, give that lead tone to Eric Johnson and I'm pretty sure he won't complain.

• Don't get upset Radley.
    All of these discussions you bring up are fun & interesting, if you throw punches then expect to get a couple of jabs thrown back at you...but it's all in a humorous manner, it's not meant to be hurtful or personal.

Are you really expecting Mr Kemper or any other Kemper owners to agree with you that the distortion characteristics of the Boss COSM modelling or Pods is better than the Kemper?

Actually, I am expecting they already realize this is the case, but when people like myself specifically mention it, they know it really is a problem they should be addressing.

• The problem is.
    If we debate this or other Radley topics and we counter argue Radley's findings/opinions with our own opinions, then we're called obsessed Kemper "fanbois" who can't accept any criticism of the Kemper.

Well, if COSM amp modelling distortion is better than the Kemper distortion engine, then I'm a Kemper fanboi.

• Bottom Line: The KPA is a great idea, and a new revolution in guitar processing. It would be a real shame if other companies stole their thunder by doing it better, and more musically. It's a great idea, but it must be *fully executed* to reign supreme in the future.

• Actually, I am expecting they already realize this is the case, but when people like myself specifically mention it, they know it really is a problem they should be addressing.

Take two different boutique tube amp designers/builders, let's say Paul Rivera and one other.
    Do you think they listen to each others amps and then quickly go off and change their design to sound and function like the other guys amp...we'd land up with every boutique amp sounding the same?
    Paul Rivera's a genius, builds great amps, but I've read a thousand reviews from guitarists who don't like many aspects of the tone his amps generate.
    And, I've read ten thousand reviews from guitarists who simply cannot figure out how to get great tone from Mesa Boogies...and of course a Dumble player will tell you a Marshall distortion is disgusting, nasty & cheap sounding.

You prefer Boss COSM & Pod XT distortion to the Kemper, fair enough...but don't expect Mr Kemper to redesign his distortion engine to sound more like the distortions you prefer.

• I only hope Mr. Kemper will be more open-minded to such comments as mine - again, the Kemper is excellent at EQ matching, maybe the best ever! But the quality of distortion is very important if it is to 'fill in' for all the great amps being profiled. I am done with this thread and possibly this board, but I stand behind what I have said regardless.

Cheers to All!

I'm going to stick my head above the trench and agree with you on this. Whilst the KPA does sound extremely good in isolation, it still is NOT the same as playing the real thing. I now almost exclusively use the KPA as a high quality Cab sim and effects block by running my real tube amp via a load box into the KPA and switching off the KPA amp......this gives some truly excellent results for recording.

However, I disagree about the AxeFX. I had one of those for about 2 months and I absolutely hated the plastic/processed sound of it, the KPA is light years ahead of the AxeFX.