Sympathetic Vibrations

• Fairly new Kemper user here. I've been primarily using it at home, but would like it to replace my live amp rig soon. The low E string on my guitar experiences sympathetic vibrations when some notes are played on the other 5 strings. I assume this has always been the case, but I have never heard it when using tube amps. This noise is very audible with the Kemper. I thought I'de mention I've never have really played at bedroom volume, I generally play in a venue setting, so maybe thats a factor. I suffer from "baby hands" so unfortunately I've never been able to master the thumb wrap over the low E string. Does anybody have any recommendations on how to reduce this noise. I'm going to get the guitar set up next week and see if that helps at all.

• Stray tones on the lower strings are definitely a thing. They affect bassists too - studio bassists are particularly keen to mute these tones so they develop techniques to damp the lower strings with parts of their hands - eg the back of the palm of by extending the right thumb over the lower strings to damp them while playing finger style on the higher strings. There are videos of these techniques on youtube etc.

• Hi,

First of all I would suggest you to check the ammount of gain and compression you have in your profile. I have seen quite a lot of profiles with way more than necessary, which I believe could lead to this problem.

• Deffo a proper investigation first before you despair!

I've had loose bits on the bridge and in the cavity that have caused unbelievable resonance on one guitar's low E string (never at the note you want haha).

Plug in, play clean - and then when you hear the resonance, start putting your finger on bits....the bridge, the block, springs etc (open up the cavity) until you track down the bit of the guitar that stops making the noise when you dampen it/press on with your finger.

Its a guitar issue, so don't worry about Kemper and good luck!

Greg

PRS Custom 22's - Fender Strats - Diezel VH4 - Carol Ann OD2 - Toneking Imperial MK2 - Colin the Kemper - CLR Neo ii.

• Hi,

First of all I would suggest you to check the ammount of gain and compression you have in your profile. I have seen quite a lot of profiles with way more than necessary, which I believe could lead to this problem.

I found that most of the profiles I'm using have compression in the amp section or in one of the effects blocks. Disabling these reduced the noise slightly, but it is still a little too noticeable for my liking.

I did a check around the guitar, but unfortunately nothing seemed to damper this noise. I'm using a semi hollow which obviously contributes to the issue, but I find it also occurs with my Gibson SG. I feel like both guitars could probably use a proper set up.