Profile Volume Levels - Help me understand the wide variance

• Just curious. I discovered in the reading of another thread that there is a cab volume component as well. Is that like speaker drive on the AxeFX 2 (for those who have used that product)? As I look to balance out profile/rig volumes of the ones I want to keep, what is the best practice? Is there a cab volume setting that is ideal or is it better to use the volume adjustment on the amp.

• Your best bet is just trust your ears and go with what you think sounds best

I got ya. I guess I just wanted to understand the relationship of Cab Volume vs. Amp Volume. Are they basically the same thing? I'm unable to really tell the difference in raising or lowering the cab volume vs. the amp volume. Intuitively, I would think raising either volume would give you more of that thing you raised so if you want a stronger cab flavor, raise that. I don't know though.

• The manual makes a number of references that the amp profiles as a whole are gain-staged to an equal-loudness algorithm such that the only reason for tweaking the rig '"Volume" knob would be for aesthetic purposes within a set. But if you swap the cab inside a rig, all bets are off it seems. Perhaps we need an auto-rig level recalibrate whenever this is done? I would assume the the Rig & Cab volumes are all just part of the long gain staging chain that ultimately ends up with the Master Volume, meaning that there's more than one way to skin a cat when it comes to adjusting the levels of things.

-djh

• Is there a cab volume setting that is ideal or is it better to use the volume adjustment on the amp.

Cab settings depend on what speakers you're monitoring. To me, most of the settings where ok with regular studio monitors or headphones,till i started using a RCF NX SMA for live monitoring , and i found the sound a bit "liveless". Cranking the cab volume brought that bit of "amp in the room" sound back.
    It's a matter of personal taste.

• So what's the point of redundent volumes? ?(

One example: Imagine you lock the amp and use a selection of different cabs with it.
    Instead of always needing to adjust volume in the amp module you could adjust the volume in the respective cabs once.
    Then you can flip though the cabs without needing to adjust volume.
    It's redundant but can come in very handy.

• It helps to be able to independently set the volume of each when you mix and match amps and cabs. If, for example, you lock a cab and scroll through a bunch of amps it's good to be able to adjust the amps' volume and vice versa if you lock an amp and scroll through a bunch of cabs.

So what's the point of redundent volumes? ?(