Mesa Boogies & Strats

• Something I never knew before getting the KPA, how the match between Mesa Boogie amps & Strats is so very very good.
    No doubt about it, the bridge pickup on a Strat can be pretty un rewarding at times, but with any of the Mesa Boogie profiles it's thick and creamy distortion...pretty amazing.

I was messing with the "Innes" (Andy Innes) Mesa Road King profiles this morning, used a few of the Till's cabs, using a Strat/bridge, sweet sweet tones.

After an hour of that, switched to some Marshall profiles on the same Strat bridge pickup, and nowhere near the same 'balls' & creamy distortion you get with the Mesa amps.

Just a thought.

• The original Boogie's (Mark I and Mark II) were known for their mid-range honk which works really well with strats. These amps had the highs and lows attenuated early in the circuit, before overdriving, to create a smoother overdrive. Then you used the graphic EQ to bring the highs and lows back (that's why Boogie EQ's are often set in the V shape).

The Fat, Mark I and Vintage settings on newer Mesa's are influenced by the early Boogie sound.