Best settings on audio interface (Lo Gain, +4dBu, -10dBV) when connecting Kemper

• Hi,

Apologies in advance for a rather boring technical question...

On my Fireface 400 audio interface, I have 3 options for the inputs:

1) "Lo Gain": +19dBu @ 0dBFS / 15db Headroom

2) "+4dBu": +13dBu @ 0dBFS / 9db Headroom

3) "-10dBV": +2dBV @ 0dBFS / 12db Headroom

To be honest I've never quite understood, in practical terms, which is best in what situation. +4dBu seems to be the default so have always left it on that.

Can anyone advise which of these is best when plugging in a Kemper via it's main stereo outputs? (My monitors are Adams A7X if that makes any difference, and my Kemper's an unpowered head.)

Thanks!

• Thanks for the link! I do practice gain-staging in my DAW, using a VU meter plugin (calibrated at I think -18db) - basic rules I follow are keep all tracks around 0 on the VU meter, or (for more transient material) keep peaks below -9db (dbFS?) on the DAW's mixer.

However, I'm not sure that article made me any wiser as to what the practical implications are of the different options on the Fireface... hence why I'm hoping some real-world examples might make things clearer - e.g. with connecting my Kemper. Or does it not really matter which option I choose on the Fireface so long as I gain stage carefully?

• Well, it doesn’t really matter that much since Kemper have a master volume. (So you can adjust the level you hit the RME with).

But according to the manual, the Kemper toaster and rack has max output level xlr +22 dbU, +16 dBU on ts. That is on the main outputs. (monitor out and direct out both +16 dBU).

So the RME is giving you options for what to expect. A +22 dBU, or +16 dBU signal is pretty hot, so it’s about choosing the level so it works in tandem. Ideally, so that max output level of Kemper is as close to 0 dBFS on the RME as possible. I.e. clipping is close to the same level. :)

I use the RME UCX, and I have it setup with +4. I adjust the master output of the Kemper so I hit around -20 to -18 dBFS. And that is average level (rms), not peaks. Even if my peaks hit around -6 dBFS I have the headroom on both Kemper and RME for it not to be a problem. :) (With distorted guitar it rarely is a problem, it isn`t that dynamic to begin with).

But I am no expert. I might be doing it wrong... So take my advise accordingly. ;)

Edited 2 times, last by dahla ().