Prospective new Kemper owner

• Hi there!
    I've been reading up this forum, and have become interested in the Kemper amp. There are a few questions though, I have in mind. Some of these might be dump - if so, feel free to laugh :D :
    * The Kemper amp has a power-amp which will be "retrofitted" into the unit they say. Is this going to be covered in the cost of the amp itself, or we have to pay for this?
    * What's to expect in the future Kemper releases - is there a KemperII (with more DSP, more juice, better form factor etc) I should rather wait for, than regret later if I buy earlier?
    * In terms of software implementation, are there a lot of changes and improvements expected? I hear of thermal issues with the unit, not a very effects rich unit, inability to differentiate clean amp profiles, inability to completely remove the cabinet, some loss of fidelity of true amp sounds etc. Not to sound complacent here, but to be sure what the facts are here
    * How does the Kemper really compare with the AxeFx II - I know, this is all over the internet and a possibly wrong place to ask....still ;)
    * How real do the Kemper profiles sound? In some videos on the internet, I could hear a difference between the real amp vs Kemper - keeping the honeymoon syndrome aside from an honest opinion would be helpful :D

• Hi Slash07,

Welcome(-:

First off, there are many here who can answer your questions with much more authority than I can, and I am sure they will chime in here, but for now, maybe I can get you started.

1) I never heard, or read anything that implied the upcoming power amp would be included.
    I assumed, just like the upcoming foot controller, it will be a separate purchase.

2) Who knows, when the Ultra came out, no one knew there was going to be an AxeII.
    CK has stated there is plenty of DSP room in the KPA, but we all know it is not infinite.
    As far as form factor, there is a rack version of the KPA in the works, we are told.
    So, yes, waiting would be best if a rack version fits your needs better than the current form factor of the KPA.

3) Yes, there are a lot of software additions, and improvements expected from what I have read here.
    (again, there are others here who know much more than I.)
    I think your questions about the clean amps, and separating the cabinets, comes from a lot of us not fully understanding, yet, what is going on under the hood of the KPA, but these questions are being answered.
    For instance, I have read on here, that yes, removing the cabinet will not yield a good sounding result, just as it doesn't on a real amp, unless you introduce a speaker simulator of some kind. Much of the pleasing tone of your amp comes from the cabinet. remove the cab, and you are missing something.
    The clean amps lacking individual character can be overcome by not choosing "Clean" when profiling the amp. This way the KPA will pick up the more individual characteristics of the amp.(again, I may be incorrect, but this is how I understand it)

4) I do not own an Axe, but it seems to me that these two units shine in separate areas.
    For live use, at this point, I think the Axe would be the winner, hands down.
    The added effects arsenal alone, would be enough for me to choose the Axe, if I were on tour.
    Not to mention the stability of a unit whose firmware is on version 6.0. We are only on 1.08.
    Plus, for whatever difference there might be in realism of sound, I don't think it matters in a live mix.(so the Axe wins live).
    Now, this all changes in the studio. Here is where the KPA shines. You already have all the effects you could want in the studio already, but what you don't have, is all the amps that live in the KPA. So, even the slightest improvement in the amp tones from one unit to the other, in the studio is where you would want the winner in this category.

5) And yes, I can hear a difference too. Sometimes the KPA sounds better, and sometimes not. But it is still a Profile, it is digital.
    Don't forget, profiling, and modeling, are recreating a mic'd amp, not you sitting in front of the amp.

Hopefully many others will chime in here to help answer your questions.
    I gave it my best shot, and I hope it helps you a little.

All I do know, is, we are all winners here because of the efforts of both Cliff, and CK!!!

Best Regards,
    imall41(-:

• I saw no one has replied and thought I would answer although my skills are small compared to some of the members of this forum. I am more of an end user rather than a profiler. So more or less I am just enjoying this amazing device. You will find that the tones produced vary in quality mainly because of the user as opposed to the device. There appears to be a trick involving multiple microphones through a mixer if I understand it. If this is done then you get profiles that are out of this world. I am talking about tone that is so good, that if you put the profiled device in a 1 on 1 Pepsi challenge, you couldn't tell the difference. On the other hand, the profiles generated by those who don't use multiple microphones along with solid placement and techniques results in profiles comparable to Axe II and certainly better than POD HD or Eleven Rack. In the last two weeks, I would say a solid 100 almost perfect profiles have been added and I am being conservative. Just check out the following threads for loads of profiles that are amazing work.

Guitarnet70
    Jimmyno
    And44

As for the "retrofit," I can't speak to this as this is the first I have heard. Based upon what I have seen and heard, I would not expect a quick generation 2 device as it appears that Kemper is looking to get its return on investment in this version on both the white and black models. As far as software goes, there has been monthly updates. Kemper offers access to both the beta and RTM versions of the OS. I would expect routine updates as this is a generation 1 product. As far as memory is concerned I have yet to top out the number of profiles and have seen others report 2000+ with no problems. I have not seen any DSP errors personally, but I know others have reported some. The frequency appears to be rather small in comparison to BOSS or Line 6 devices generation of these errors. I have run my device all day and have not encountered any thermal issues nor have I noticed the device feeling extra hot. It certainly runs cooler than my XBOX 360 gen 1 did and for that matter seems to generate no more heat than POD HD500, GT-100 or GT-10 units. Organization of profiles is really up to the end user. I have pretty much have a collection of favorite profiles that I have backed up. Then I will add new profiles until things get messy. I will then self coalesce by restoring my backup and importing the new profiles I have identified as favorites. I then make a new favorites backup. Given the personal nature of everyones opinion regarding what makes a clean profile versus X, you have to come up with your own system.

As for how it compares with an AXE, I would defer to other members as I don't have an AXE. I can report that on the profiles created by those who know what they are doing, people generally say they are equal or better. Again, this is very subjective to answer but based upon what I have read on other forums such as The GearPage.net and others, the Kemper is holding very strong against the AXE.

Aside from the following, I would mention the device is extremely easy to use while the AXE from what I understand is highly complicated.

I hope this helps. I know I am very happy with my purchase and I think the community using the device is great about sharing profiles and advice about using the unit.

USMC7312

MY GEAR:
    Taylor T5 Koa, Taylor SBS1, Fender Select Koa Telecaster | PRS SE 50 w/ 2x12 Cab | Kemper Profiling Amp | 2x Tannoy 601a Monitors

• 1- the power amp is due to come out very soon (prototypes were at the Musikmesse in Frankfurt) and will be a separate purchase
    2- there is definitely no Kemper II on the pipeline at this point in time, though a rack unit is being "baked"
    3- we can expect a lot of add ons from a FW perspective, all the following point of discussion you have listed are very much subjective and based on particular wishes/needs/"I'm used to..." and at best you should hear to nobody (including me) and try it for yourself.
    4- different tools, for the same purpose, fulfilling different needs. Lots of people here (including me) are uding the KPA live with not less than stellar results, but, again, is a matter of opinion and you need to get your one. If you ask 100 people you'll get 70 different answers
    5- this depend very much on how good you are wit miking and hearing at the result. The principle is crap in/crap out. With a proper setup and environment the difference is very low, at the point that lots of pro guys cannot tell it apart. Beside that often the profile sounds "better" (again: opinion) then the real amp.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff