Power rack into Marshall DSL5 combo speaker

• Hi everyone this is my first post! I received my delivery of my Kemper Power rack today!

Its the powered version and I was originally wanting to run it straight into my Marshall DSL5 combo amp 1 x 10 16ohm speaker. I was under the impression that I simple take a speaker cable, and plug into the speaker output on the back of the Kemper into the speaker jack on the back of the DSL5. Just like I would with a normal cabinet.

I did this and didn't get any sound, after checking cab sims and output settings I couldn't get anything out of the speaker.

Then...I tried going via the FX loop of the combo, so speaker cable out from main output (L) on the Kemper into the DSL5 return of the FX loop. Reconnected detachable speaker lead on the DSL5 and hey presto I got sound, but why would it not give me the option to go directly into the speaker? Cos effectively I'm using the combo as a power-amp now aren't I?

Do I turn something on/off in the Kemper output settings? I haven't tried it through a 4x12 yet but I have a suspicion if the cabinet/amp has an FX loop the only way to run it is to use that?

• If you really did what you wrote, you had connected the speaker output of your Marshall DLS with the SPEAKER OUTPUT of the PROFILER. So, short cutting the power amp output of the Marshall with the power amp output of the PROFILER. This won't work with any device in the world and is an absolute don't do. It might have damaged the built-in power amp of the PROFILER, because its SPEAKER OUTPUT must not be connected to any grounded equipment, just to an unpowered cabinet.

If your intend is to run the built-in chassis of your Marshall with the built-in power amp of the PROFILER, you should have plugged the jack, which is normally plugged in the speaker output of your Marshall into the SPEAKER OUTPUT of the PROFILER. The cable attached to this jack is attached to the speaker chassis in the Marshall on its other side. This cable is probably too short, so you need a speaker extension cable.

Another don't do is connecting line level outputs and inputs via unshielded speaker cables.

• So you're referring to this one that's already plugged into the actual red speaker out put socket as shown?

[Blocked Image: https://kitarablogi.files.word…l5c-e28093-back-panel.jpg]

I think I get what you mean now cos that's already connected to the Marshall power amp? So I simply that out and put it into the red speaker output of the Kemper?

https://media.sweetwater.com/a…-ProfilePwrRk_detail2.jpg[Blocked Image: https://media.sweetwater.com/a…-ProfilePwrRk_detail2.jpg]

• in principle, yes. But that cable might be too short. And I'm afraid, that the PROFILER'S power amp might already be damaged. It must not be connected to any grounded gear. From the manual:

¨   WARNING!

Never connect an active device to the power amp output! Any active devices (such as power soaks) that have a grounded circuit will destroy the power amp by creating a short circuit.

Only passive speaker systems should be connected to the SPEAKER OUTPUT.

Please refrain from connecting devices with impedances lower than 4 ohms, as the power amp could be damaged.

Always ensure adequate ventilation - especially if mounting your PROFILER into a rack. Failure to do so may cause the power amp to shut down to prevent overheating.

• Yes it is too short so I didn’t even attempt to try it.

I don’t have access to my Orange 4x12 cab to try it so I have no idea if the power amp is damaged.

Also the display’s backlight doesn’t come on when first starting up and never comes on when browsing profiles so the unit was obviously faulty before I got it so I think it needs to be fixed cos that’s a hardware issue.