New to Kemper / IK Multimedia - AXE I/O question

• Greetings to everyone - new Kemper owner here. Looking forward to diving in to the forum.

Quick question for the hive mind. I have been using Amplitube and an AXE I/O to this point, with a Macbook Pro,playing through studio monitors. My question is - can I still use the AXE I/O to get the Kemper into my Macbook Pro and my DAW? If so, what is the best connection to use between the Kemper and the AXE I/O? Thanks in advance for your help!

• Hi, daimion.

Welcome. Congratulations on getting you Kemper Profiler.

It looks like you can connect the Kemper Profiler Master Outputs to the AX I/O inputs.

XLR Female to 1/4 inch (6.3 mm) Tip-Ring-Sleeve (Preferred)

XLR to XLR

OR

1/4 inch (6.3mm) Tip-Sleeve to the 1/4 inch combo jack inputs.

Which Profiler did you get?

Here are some other resources for you.

Kemper Manuals and Quick Start guides

Rig Manager Download and Documentation

Kemper Tutorials & Demos

Cheers,

ST

Kemper Profiling Amplifier (unpowered) [2014], Remote [2016], Stage [2020], PowerRack, Remote & Kab[2021]
    Twitter | LinkedIn | My Blog | My Kemper Notes

Edited 4 times, last by ST: XLR Female to 1/4 inch (6.3 mm) Tip-Ring-Sleeve (Preferred) ().

• Thanks for the quick response. I have the non-powered head version of the Kemper. I'll try the XLR connection.

• Best option is XLR female-》TRS.

Reason is that this will be a balanced connection without going through the mic preamp stage of the interface.

Of course, XLR to 1/4 inch (6.3 mm) Tip-Ring-Sleeve should work too. I wouldn't expect to hear any difference from XLR to XLR assuming you set the input trim appropriately.

From the AXE I/O user manual

• Of course, XLR to 1/4 inch (6.3 mm) Tip-Ring-Sleeve should work too. I wouldn't expect to hear any difference from XLR to XLR assuming you set the input trim appropriately.

Yes, you can do it as you described but the "best option" is what I wrote. Better input impedance for a line level signal, no unwanted coloration from the mic preamp stage, no increased noise floor from an unnecessarily lowered output level.

I know that most users aren't aware of the small differences and typically go for cables with same connectors on both ends. In case of the Profiler though, it makes sense to go from XLR to TRS because sadly the 1/4 inch outputs are unbalanced.

• Hey lightbox,

Yes, you can do it as you described but the "best option" is what I wrote. Better input impedance for a line level signal, no unwanted coloration from the mic preamp stage, no increased noise floor from an unnecessarily lowered output level.

I know that most users aren't aware of the small differences and typically go for cables with same connectors on both ends. In case of the Profiler though, it makes sense to go from XLR to TRS because sadly the 1/4 inch outputs are unbalanced.

I added edited my original post to add

XLR Female to 1/4 inch (6.3 mm) Tip-Ring-Sleeve (Preferred)

13219-kemper-to-axio-xlr14trs-jpg

• Thanks for all of the advice. Got the correct connections today and everything works great! Now to start working through some rigs...

• Hey daimion and ST, thanks for asking the question daimion and the for the answer ST. I've got my Kemper rack connected with both XLR's on both ends and have noticed the audio isn't quite up to snuff. I'd read about 1/O'S possible mic preamp stage but thought maybe my AXE 1/O like daimon's would be different. Looks to not be the case, I'm going to get those adapters to 1/4 inch!