INteresting question on making profiles. Is it possible to record the sounds the kemper makes when profiling such that I can feedback those sounds w different plugins for quietly making other profiles?

• So I have a Townsend L22 microphone. Its an emulation mic that allows changing the polar patterns, proximity and microphone type via their free plugin. Its the kemper of microphones to put it simply. The only problem is the microphone requires two channels of audio.

So I was wondering, If I have the kemper start profiling, can I capture and record how the mic responds to the kempersounds? I intend to then using the plugin be able to quickly and quietly make different mic settings, by feeding back the sound, but this time now altered with the mic emulations. I could then also share the capture recording so others could pretty much customize the micing of the amp virtually (since the plugin is free to use after all)

For those curious as to what im talking about here is some details about this Kemper of the microphone world .

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• ??yes You can record the sounds the kemper makes when profiling but you can not feed it back outside the Profiling process

but You can use the plugin (with different settings) while You are profiling.

I Guess You just have to convert the plugin stereo output into a Mono track before going back to Kemper.

So no need to record the test signal of kemper but no silent profiling process is possibile.

Anyway that microphone it's a modeller not a profilier right? :)

Edited 2 times, last by Sollazzon ().

• Yeah its actually more a modeller. indeed.. Some of the mics I have which it mimics however, are pretty on point, so was hoping to use this thing as a way to just quickly make a bunch of profiles with multimics and perfect phase without the hassle hehe

• yes I've got you ,.. but it's not supposed to work it that way.

anyway... do you think that its plugin could work if used with a different mic?

or is it absolutely necessary to use it with Townsend L22 as hardware counterpart?

• It is necessary to use the townsend. The reason is they use two diaphgrams to capture the back and the front separately. This from what I understand is what allows them to emulate not just the on axis response, but also the entire off axis response of the different mics (since some mics capture a bit beyond just whats in front, and the good ones dont have phase shifting issues). So you could say the behavior of the plugin is therefore calibrated for the specific design of their mic.

This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGD4H-XkARE&t=1110s shows how it sounds next to some of the original mics, both on axis as well as off axis. The SM57 and u87 sound ridiculously close if not pretty indistinguishable from the real counterparts I have|had (I sold my 87 to get other mics not emulated) :D

ANYWAYS, the company slate, makes a $200 mic (ML2) which has pretty decent emulations also (a bit brittle, BUT ONLY if you really really compare side by side). I mention it as that one has the advantage that it doesnt need two channels, and it emulates the Royer R121, which is great for guitars.

So in other words you could make a profile with that mic (without the plugin). Then you could record your songs with the profile and would in theory be able to change the mic you used by using the plugin. I am tempted to test that theory hehe, but was hoping I could use the townsend as its a bit more powerful hehe

• So in other words you could make a profile with that mic (without the plugin). Then you could record your songs with the profile and would in theory be able to change the mic you used by using the plugin. I am tempted to test that theory hehe, but was hoping I could use the townsend as its a bit more powerful hehe

cool, let us know when you have tested.