Profiler Stage with talk box..

• Hey all! I have an old talk box I made way back in the day when I was working for EV in Buchanan MI. It's basically an EV 1824S compression driver that Joe Walsh had in his rig at one time, with a heavy duty switch to route the output of my guitar amp to it. It actually still sounds pretty good but now that I am preparing to gig with the Stage unit for the first time I am thinking of trying the latest MXR talk-box out. I figured I would run a compressor and EQ pre-stack and then put the MXR post-effect modules. So I'm wondering if anyone here is using one with the Kemper unit or have any suggestion.

Thx

• I made my first talk box with an EV driver that had been part of the PA system at swimming pool. I used the same kind of heavy duty switch, to rattle my head with a Fender Twin.

I've not used the MXR, but I can recommend the Rocktron Banshee - like the MXR, it has an internal power amp. I've been using one for close to 30 years, without a breakdown. With it, I can easily get compressed, classic rock to gainy sounds using the device's internal amp and EQ.

I use mine with a Morley A/B, A+B switch, before the Profiler. That way, I can use it with any Rig, whether it includes an FX loop or not.

If you want the additional versatility of Profiler effects, you can use the FX send to send signal to the MXR or the Rocktron, and turn the FX loop on to use it. You can also use FX mix to use the sound of a profile to the PA along with the sound of your talkbox into your mic.

• Thanks for the input and suggestions! I've had the Kemper for only a couple of weeks so I've been studying the manual and discovering it's potential. I'll most likely go with one of those active talk-box units. For stage monitoring I will be using the EV PXM-12MP powered floor monitor which has a couple of inputs, one of which has a dedicated Thru output XLR connector. I plan on using the Profiler MON out to one of the EV inputs for normal monitoring.

I'm thinking I could create a Rig for the talk-box utilizing all necessary EQ, modulation and time-based effects then utilize a post-stack Effects loop module and route it to the talk box via a Send jack. From there I could connect the talk-box mic (I don't normally sing) to the other EV input to monitor the effect on stage and then connect a mic cable to that input's Thru output and send that to the FOH console. I would then have to mute the Kemper Main & Monitor outputs for the rig.

Could work I suppose. Looks good on a bar napkin anyway..

• Random Q.

I’ve got my Mxr talkbox plugged into the the return only on my kemper stage is there any way to have effects from the kemper into the talkbox tube.

Any help would be appreciated

• Why effects into the talkbox ? Normal you plug your guitar direct into the talkboxunit.

My setup: guitar into the kemper, direct out into the talkbox (analog out) now you(foh) can blend the kemper/talkbox sounds. Works great for me.

if you want effects in the talkbox, you can do the same but only have To change the output format of the direct out.

good luck!:thumbup:

• I use the MXR M 222 live with the Kemper Stage. I used it a lot before the Input, but it changes the sound because of the buffer.

I experimented with a normal FX loop, so that the Talkbox can't change the sound of the input. You can put the FX loop wherever you want, so you have the possibilities to run some effects on it, but thats very experimental and IMO not necassary. Plus you need a FX-section for this and the Talkbox was every time on, so there where some noise coming out of my microphone (live) from the Talkbox-Distortion.

Now I will set Send 1 to DI Analog and only send the signal to the input of the talkbox. That is very helpful, because it is not changing the input signal and you can switch the talkbox on and off on the unit itself and have the full sound (without FX for sure) without noise. Plus you have very short and minimal cabling.

You can use passive Talkbox like the Dunlops as well, but then you need a power amplifier between. Makes it very uncomfortable.