[Soundside] Christmas Sale - Ended - Thank You!

• Here as promised some more information about the latest profile packs - first something about the JCM 2000.

[Blocked Image: http://www.soundside.de/shop/images/jcm2k-1-big.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://www.soundside.de/shop/images/jcm2k-2-big.jpg]

This amp is a so called 'Dual Super Lead' full valve head with 100Watts.

This two channel amp has two modes in each channel.

The first channel is close to a 1959 Super Lead Plexi - but 'hot rodded' = more gain.
    The first mode of the first channel is called 'clean' - and it does just this - clean Marshall sounds.
    The second mode of the first channel is called 'cruch' and here are all the famous classic Plexi sounds - and hot rodded plexi sounds.

The second channel is close to a JCM 800 Master Volume 2203 - also 'hot rodded' = even more gain.
    Here are two modes, Lead1 with a lot of gain and Lead2 with even more gain.

We profiled all 4 modes with different gain and tonestack settings - for use with single coil or humbucker guitars.
    In addition did we profile the amp with the two sound switches activate:
    Deep Boost and Tone Shift

Our naming convention looks like this:
    JCM2K C12 5 57M5 DT
    JCM2K = Marshall JCM2000
    C12 = C11=Clean, C12=Crunch, C21=Lead1, C22=Lead2
    here: Channel=1 Mode=2 -> Crunch
    5 = Gain setting (0-9 and M=Max=10)
    57M5 = Tonestack settings (Presence-Treble-Middle-Bass)
    here: Presence=5, Treble=7, Middle=Max=10, Bass=5
    D = Deep Boost activated
    T = Tone Shift activated

In addition to the 46 RAW profiles with almost all possible amp settings did we include 7 'ready to use' profiles with tweaks and effects.

Link to get the full Marshall JCM2000 user guide

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Armin, here's a question that's always been on my mind, well, since I got my KPA anyway: when you profile an amp, do you replace the tubes (valves) to see if it sounds better? In my experience most amps these days ship with Sovteks, which I'm not particularly fond of - all my tube amps have either JJ (they make a good EL34 BTW) or NOS tubes in them (Mullard, GE, Philips) and I quite like the new Tungsol 12AX7/ECC83 production as well. IMHO the difference in tone is quite noticeable, so I'm pretty sure profiles of the same amp with different tubes amp would sound very different from each other.

• Armin, here's a question that's always been on my mind, well, since I got my KPA anyway: when you profile an amp, do you replace the tubes (valves) to see if it sounds better? In my experience most amps these days ship with Sovteks, which I'm not particularly fond of - all my tube amps have either JJ (they make a good EL34 BTW) or NOS tubes in them (Mullard, GE, Philips) and I quite like the new Tungsol 12AX7/ECC83 production as well. IMHO the difference in tone is quite noticeable, so I'm pretty sure profiles of the same amp with different tubes amp would sound very different from each other.

8o

You know you just asked Armin for opening up a big new rabbithole? :D

Yes, in most of my amp do I have tubes from TubeAmpDoctor a German company which sells some of the best tubes available LINK

When I lend amps from others I do not change the tubes.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

• Here some more information about the new ERB pack.

For the ERB pack was an ENGL Ritchie Blackmore Signature Head used.
    ERB = (E)ngl (R)itchie (B)lackmore

As speaker cabinet did we use our Elmwood 4x12" Vintage 30 cabinet.
    We captured the sound with a R121 mic.

[Blocked Image: http://www.soundside.de/shop/images/ERB-1-big.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://www.soundside.de/shop/images/ERB-2-big.jpg]

I think there is not much to say about the guitar player from Deep Purple, Rainbow, ... he is very picky about his gear.

The amp has two channels with two modes (low / high gain)
    C1 = Clean channel (low gain)
    C2 = Clean channel (high gain)
    L1 = Lead channel (low gain)
    L2 = Lead channel (high gain)

In addition to the EQ stack (bass, middle, treble) and presence (lead channel only) are two switches:
    Bright for the clean channel for some kind of treble boost
    and
    Contour for both channels = mid boost

We named our many RAW patches like this:

ERB L1 15 091710 CP
    ERB = ENGL Ritchie Blackmore
    L1 = Lead 1
    15 = Gain setting (clock values)
    091710 = Tonestack settings Bass=09:00, Middle=17:00, Treble=10:00
    C = Contour activated
    B = Bright activated (for clean only)
    P = Presence boosted (15:00)

In addition to the 50 RAW profiles - from all channels, switchers and different gain and tone stack settings - did we add some 'ready to go' profiles with tweaked advanced parameters and effects.

Here is the user guide for the real amp used to create the profiles LINK

• Hey Armin,

what's the timeline for completing bundle 6 ?
    I'm curious about your new profiles.

But if you finish bundle 6 - say e.g. in a month - than i probably can wait some more time ...

regards,
    frank

• No need to wait.

If you buy some or all packs from any bundle and like to upgrade to the full bundle later - you can pick free packs from other bundles.

e.g. you own 3 packs from bundle 2 and like to upgrade to the full bundle 2 - just buy bundle 2 - and send me an email and let me know the 3 packs you like to get for free.

In case you own all available bundles (I - V) and like to get all currently available packs from bundle VI - send me an email.

• Just finished a short demo of the Prince pack (from clean to cranked with pedals):

Prince clip

btw. check also out the great blues clip from Guenter.
    (320Kbit version is up on my homepage)

• Armin, I just bought your HW 1959 Plexi with the Elmwood cab- astounding Marshall & best in my KPA by far! I may get the Diezel VH4 as I gigged that amp for years. Does the VH4 use the Elmwood cab also? That cab is magic. Thank you for your hard work & expertise!

• I am glad you like the profiles.
    Yes, for the DZL pack was the same cabinet used (Elmwood 4x12" with V30 speakers).

• Picked up the Diezel. It also is amazing. I gigged a VH4 for 5 years so I know how it's supposed to sound. This is spot on in tone AND feel. I love the way you profile and tag them Armin- makes it very easy to pick out what's going on for whatever guitar is used. The only issue I had with the real VH4 was it could be a bit too tight, especially for leads on CH3. No problem with the KPA- just turn up the sag and it's exactly the way I need it. :thumbup:

• Yes that sag knob is a great KPA feature.

btw this parameter will not automatically be set during the profiling process.

If you have owned the VH4 please check also the included pdf file - there are all used parameters explained - so you can get about the same feeling as sitting before your old amp and playing with the knobs.

• Great news! Yes, the sag is a great feature, especially for a tight amp like the VH4. After gigging the VH4 for 5 years I switched to an Einstein 50 to get a bit looser feel but similar tone. With your profiles of the VH4 I can get exactly that. I for one love how you organize the profiles EQ. I was using the Plexi tonight & switched to my P90 LP. Because you included the bright, normal & jumpered I was able to find exactly what I needed for that guitar! What amps are you doin next Armin?

• The UFO sounds are very annoying for some vintage amp lovers - never show the profiling process to any one of them - in case you like to profile some of the amps :D

Found someone with a few nice old amps - but while the amps are great for a collector - I did not like the sound.

So. I'll hope to get some more vintage amps for you in August.

I'll soon start profiling some boutique amps - you'll love them ...