A dream becomes reality : Matrix stereo amp module for KPA

• And...how do you control the output volume?. Directly from KPA output knob?
    It would be great that the KPA and the Matrix share the same power connection avoiding two cord plugs and also have a mono output option....

looks intriguing... i'd also prefer a volume control on the power amp itself. i might wanna go to desk and still be able to controll my stage volume... like anyone else propably. what about the kemper version? any news?

• Nice, but i guess if you want to use it in stereo you´ll have to connect it to the main outs, which means you cannot use the "cab off" function here :(

It is not the amp's fault ;-)..i do not know why the monitor out isn't stereo to start with

Anyway you can switch the cab off without any problem on the main outs too ;)

• I would color mark them to avoid unattentional swap :D :D :D

all jokes aside power cables quality can have a huge effect on tone of analog gear..less on things like the KPA but I still use big shielded cables with quality plugs on everything

Excellent advice on the cables. Here's some info on how to avoid wasting money on buying "super cables".

http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/power-cables

Its all about the gauge and termination quality unless your analog gear is poorly shielded, then shielding can help. "Audiophiles" will tell you they can hear differences in quality but we electrical engineers can't measure what they think they hear. Heck, if I paid $200 for a $10 cable I would want to hear a difference too. Good cables are very important but we musicians shouldn't waste our money on platinum oxygen-free mega hyper cables....those guys are selling snake oil!

bd

• Well I do have a $300 Evidence power cable and everyone who heard it compared to a "std cable" was shocked at the sound difference (with an amp head)..now it doesn't mean that I bought more of those but found a much less expensive option with some Belden cable of different gauge and wattgate or schurter plugs..heck $2000 power cables do exist and this is silly

• VERY cool to see this. i wonder hot the 250W scale at 8 and 16 Ohm, though. Based on my experience with SS poweramp, i'm afraid that could be too weak for running one cab in mono using this impedances. A SS poweramp being pushed to it's limit doesn't necessarily sound very musical. A bridged mono option would be great and would likely solve this.

having 8 ohms outputs would be very helpful too

:S

it's a SS poweramp. the load must be min 4 Ohm, but everything above will work (at less power).

• From feedback from players since day one of the GT800FX it's seemed that most users playing levels are using anything between 30w and 60w onstage. I myself am only using about 60w in a loud rock band.

The "Kemplifier" has a unique problem in that you have very little room to play with in the back slot of the Kemper and therfore airflow becomes critical. Balancing the power/heat tradeoff and also the fan noise. Many fully grown men have stated that fan noise is an issue in their lives so this naturally has to be taken into account. Class D amps don't suffer as much with giving heat off as Class A/B amps but sound "poop" in comparison with Class A/B.

The module should have enough for the majority of players and should be enough volume to gig with and have a small headroom left to avoid clipping. For those fully grown men who require more power, then of course we can point them in the direction of the GT800 and GT1000FX's.

:D

Guitar elf and demonstrator for Matrix Amplification

Edited once, last by lightninboy ().

• considering that many (including myself) are probably also going to be monitoring themselves via a guitar cab on stage, a 500W bridged MONO option for this poweramp would be the perfect solution. running a 4x12 in stereo never made much sense to me since the speakers are so close to each other anyway.

still, i'll likely pick this up when it's released in case there isn't an update regarding the kemper poweramp.

• 8o 8o 8o I would consider to undergo a medical check for your earing....

I have, they're fine...
    Seriously though, I play with custom earplugs (25dB filters) since I have chronic tinnitus (surgery induced, go figure, I play in a metal band ?( ) and do not want to take the risk of being exposed to an exploding amp or drummer (he sometimes does that, we can't figure out why though :P ).
    All this to say that I'm really sensitive and careful to being exposed to loud noise...
    One thing I did notice with the KPA/Matrix combo is that -to my ears- it sounds best when the KPA output volume is not that loud, and the Matrix is about halfway...so maybe my volume is fine, I just use weird settings.