FRFR On the way

• Hi Guys,

Just ordered an EV ELX112 Speaker. Looks to be good bang for buck. I decided on FRFR so I can real dial in what I'll send to FOH......Good Idea?

Also, as a bonus it seems this cab has 2 inputs and a built in mixer of sorts....so jamming to backing tracks/Songs should be awesome too.

• As far as I know the EV ELX112is passive!!!

That means it is only a speaker! No mixer inside and (more important) no poweramp! So you need at least a poweramp between the KPA and your EV ELX112. If you want a FRFR where you can easily plug and play your Kemp you should get an active speaker.

Generally I totally agree that a fullrange speaker (or "FRFR" look >> here >> ) is the better way to go. Many reasons have already been told here (more choices in for speaker sounds in your rigs, better control over what is in the FOH (and recording), avoiding mistakes in microphone positions in a fast soundcheck, possibility to have the sound of hard driven speakers at any volume ...) I would like to add this one: all guitar speakers have quite extreme beams. That is when you look right into their face they sound really harsh and from the side they sound way too muddy. There is only a small spot (like 45°) in between where the sound is as you want it. This beam effect is much weaker on FRFR.

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

Edited 2 times, last by fretboardminer ().

• Great choice for frfr. I have a QSC k12 but picked up the EV elx112p. The EV sounds more natural to me-lows are less boomy and

the high end is smoother and less harsh than the QSC.