Kemper/Reaper/Scarlett 8i6 Question

• I am brand new to recording. I have the Kemper hooked up to the Scarlett 8i6 via spdif and I am using Reaper. On my Focusrite Control software, I have a spdif 1&2 input open and DAW playback 1&2 open.

When I arm my guitar track in Reaper and play, I get a chorus-like effect. It's almost like the guitar in being monitored twice. However, if I mute the spdif 1&2 input in the Focusrite Control software, the guitar doesn't sound right. If I mute the DAW playback 1&2 in the Focusrite Control software, I lose any effects/plug-ins I am using inside Reaper (reverb). How do I get rid of this chorus-like effect while keeping my effects/plug-ins in Reaper?

• When I arm my guitar track in Reaper and play, I get a chorus-like effect. It's almost like the guitar in being monitored twice.

Yes, you actually listen twice in this case. You monitor S/PDIF in Focusrite Control with "zero latency monitoring" ... and you also monitor it through your DAW with considerably more latency. This results in what you called chorus-like effect.

if I mute the spdif 1&2 input in the Focusrite Control software, the guitar doesn't sound right.

Please specify what "doesn't sound right".

Fact is that you now monitor your guitar with some latency through your DAW. If you don't mind that, fine. Personally, I would never do that. It really throughs me off and I don't think it's necessary to use effects of the DAW while tracking. So I would much rather monitor S/PDIF in Focusrite Control and switch off the input monitoring in your DAW.

In Reaper you can globally switch off Input Monitoring in "Preferences - Project - Track/Send Defaults". There look for "Record config" and in the corresponding select box deactivate "Monitor Input".

Once you've done that you don't have to do it manually for each and every new track you create.

Hope this helps

Martin