Tip #12: Complex Amps - what to profile and how to name the profiles

• When I profile an amp I like to take A LOT of profiles to be able to use the KPA in the same way as if the real amp is next to me.
    So I like to profile all channels, modes, switches, different settings ...

If anybody else likes this too - the problem is to find a naming convention.

Here I share how I name my profiles for a very complex amp.

The example for this tip is my beloved Mesa Boogie Mark V.

This amp has 3 channels - each with 3 different modes.
    Each channels has knobs for gain, master, presence, treble, mid, bass
    Switches for normal/thick or normal/bright
    10/45/90 watt power tube settings
    Silicon/rectifier or triode/pentode settings
    The famous 5 band EQ
    Full power / Variac Power

ok, one thing is clear - it's impossible to profile ALL different combination - or the KPA memory would be filled only with this one amp :D

So what will I profile?
    I ask myself what will I NOT profile - and I found that different power settings are not this important - since the KPA can be used at any level - I can play the 10Watt very loud and the 90Watt at bedroom level - without losing the great sound of a cranked amp.
    Silicon or tube rectifier make not so much sound difference - it's more a feel thing and of course a SAG thing - but this must be selected at the KPA manually - so there is INHO no need to profile the amp at different power and rectifier settings..

.. in genera - because by clean sound can I hear a different sound when I profile the amp at different power settings.
    This amp uses tube rectifies when set at 10Watt and silicon rectifiers when set to 90Watt - there is a switch to set the amp to one of these options at the 45Watt setting.

The power tubes can be switched between triode and pentode when the third channel is used.
    I used the 'right' setting:
    The first mode of channel III is a Mesa Boogie Mark IIc - this uses triodes
    Mode 2 and 3 is a Mark IV - this one uses pentodes

Naming - my profiles are named like this:
    AH MKV C23 9T858830E

AH (is my name - by this can I find my profile very fast - even if I sort by name)
    MKV (is for the Mesa Boogie Mark V - so all MKV profiles are close together)
    C23 (Channel 2 Mode 3)
    9 (90 Watt settings - 4=45Watt, 1=10Watt)
    T (Thick setting - N=Normal, B=Bright)
    858830 (The values of the 6 knobs: gain, master, presence, treble, mid, bass)
    E (5 Band EQ activated, no E= EQ deactivated)

All my basic amp profiles are raw = no effects

In addition do I like to create some 'Mods' = profiles with effects, advanced amp parameter changes ...
    While I never change the raw profiles later - will I create new mods each time I find some great effects settings or do some advanced tweaking.

These will be named like this:

AH MKV M04 Clean HB

AH (is my name - by this can I find my profile very fast - even if I sort by name)
    MKV (is for the Mesa Boogie Mark V - so all MKV profiles are close together)
    M (Mod -> after the basic profiles starting with'C')
    xx (To digets number for the mods)
    nnnnn (Speaking names - here a clean patch for guitars with humbuckers)

hope this helps someone :S

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

Edited once, last by Armin ().

• Agree about the million ways to profile an amp. Every position on the real amp's gain knob will result in different profiles - what the KPA gain knob does in turn is not quite the same thing.

As for naming.... If you're looking for an opinion (can I assume as much since you posted this on the forum?) the profile name should begin with "Mesa" so that it falls in with profiles of other amps by this manufacturer. Several manufacturers make "MK" amps so this is a little ambiguous in absence of "Mesa". You can omit the "AH" altogether to save a few characters and help with organization. The KPA will already display your "author" name, and allow users to sort by this. (All of this is assuming you want to make the naming useful for other users who might download the profile.)

P.S. Are you the same "Armin" who created the alternate Vetta cabinet voicings etc. a few years ago?

• Yes, the Vetta was a great amp in that time - so now you can get my profiles ;)

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de