Help with settings

• As I continue down my path of knowledge and understanding I have hit a slight bump in the road. I need some advice on what changes/parameters that can be made to make my profile dead on. If I continue to ABY my tube amp against my Kemper I find that there is a little fine tuning that I need to do. If I don't play it against my tube amp then I'm none the wiser. I have an OR15 that I profiled. I play me Kemper through an FRFR and/or Tech 21 (I'm trying one verses the other at this point to see what I like best). My goal is to achieve the raw amp sound with minor adjustments. I don't want to get to the point I'm tweaking all the different variables (ie eq before and after and a bunch of other stuff....I was spending hours upon days doing this with my HD500 and I spent more time tweaking then playing). I am very close there is just some thump and resonance that are not matching my reference tube amp/cabinet. I just plugged my other 2x12 cabinet into my tech 21 power engine so the power portion was driving the identical speaker configuration that my reference Orange is connected to (I have (2) 2x12 Cabinets). I had to bump the bass full out, mid 3.0 and treble -2.5 with pres ~1.25. In addition I added some compression and left the cabinet on and it got very very close. This confuses me as the profile was at the same settings I took from the amp and the amp was at noon on T/M/B. I'm getting the core its just the outside layers that I need some understanding to get to. I did some samples this afternoon and when the wave form was sown in the program I was using (I recorder open air from a Tascam DR-40) the profile was a little more compressed. I would like to get the result I achieved tonight through my cabinet with my FRFR or PowerEngine alone. Any advice on specifics to adjust and what they effect would be appreciated. I uploaded my profile a while back so you can have the .kpr profile I am refering to for reference. (It is with the gain at ~10:30)

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• Compare recordings! I found out several times that I was completley wrong with comparing while playing. Then I recorded both amp and KPA and compared the two recordings thoroughly on my DAW Monitors.

• Invest really a lot of time and effort in finding the right place for the microphone. Do a lot of research recordings and only go ahead to profiling when you are really certain that you found the ideal mic placement to your taste. Mic placement is really a pedantic business. ?(

• EQ before the amp is a really strong tool!

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• Thanks. I recorded both for a while and was then looking at the results in wave format. The core is definately there but I beleive the Kemper Profile is slightly compressed compared to the original and that might be what I am hearing. If anyone has other concepts and/or thoughts let me know.

• So you connected everything (guitar -> kemper -> amp) and placed your mic and recorded the sound of your amp?
    Then you profiled your amp with exactly this setup, refined a lot (chords, power chords and single notes all around the fretboard)
    Stored this profile without messing with any advanced amp parameters - switched all effects off.

And then compared the two recording - do they sound different?
    They should be very close.
    Sag and other amp parameters may be different because they will NOT be set automatically by profiling but must be adjusted by hand - but the overall sound should be very close.

It's important NOT to record while the KPA is in profile mode - but in browse mode - in profile mode does it act different (at least mine seams to add some latency in profile mode).

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Correct. No additional setting changes on the profile...as profiled. The core sound is on target. The recording I did is weeks after the profiling. I'm just trying to get a handle on the key parameters. I can visually see the compression on the Kemper versus the tube so I'm guessing if I can make adjustments to "work" that out it would be the result I'm looking for. Let me know if you have a pattern to attempt and the logic behind it and I will try it out. Thanks.

• Check the 'sag' and 'compression' settings in the amp block - turn off the noise gate.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Got closer by removing the noise gate. Then did the following:
    Def - 2.0
    Power sag - 5.0
    Pick - +2.0
    Compressor - 3.0
    Clarity - 3.5
    Tube shape left at 3.3
    Tube bias - 2.0

Still working on the last couple items and may change a few. There is a little more bell like sound on my amp versus my Kemper but much much closer when aby'd.

• There is a little more bell like sound on my amp versus my Kemper

I had a similar thing once and could fix it with the high shift parameter in the cab a bit more up.

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• Ok dropped clarity to 0 and moved tube shape to 5.5 and still closer yet. I believe the only difference now is the fact I have a V30 on one side and a 12H30 on the other and I mic'd the H30 side but from the cabinet it is split so it is a little darker. Now the generalization question.....since tube shape is defined from the profile should it be adjusted typically ie will it always be to the low side After profile?