Is the KPA vulnerable to modified (hex-edited) profiles?

• Hello All,

I'm struggling over a dilemma with my recently-acquired KPA. One of the primary reasons I purchased the KPA was to be able to tap into the large pool of freely-available profiles on the Kemper site. However, as I perused the forums I ran across various links discussing how a hex-edited profile could brick a KPA. This caused me quite a bit of concern because if the KPA itself doesn't validate a profile (using a checksum/hash/digital signature/etc) before loading it, there's no way for me to protect my KPA from corrupt (or maliciously-modified) publicly-available profiles. The only recourse I see is to pay for commercial profile bundles, where the provider has a vested interest in ensuring that their profiles aren't corrupt.

Does anyone know if Kemper itself is doing anything to remedy this? I realize that there may be no recourse for older profiles, which apparently lack any form of hash for corruption detection, but it would be helpful to know going forward if the KPA will at some point be able to validate profiles (at least those generated by newer firmware).

Until there are integrity safeguards in place, I'm hesitant to sample profiles on Kemper's site.

I hope nobody interprets this as an inflammatory post. I don't think anyone wants to see their beautiful KPA transform into a useless brick.

Edited once, last by grnxnm ().