Kemper seemingly lost some gain after attemping to use Dual 1/4 inch TS Stereo Breakout Cable into Aux to stream music

• I apologize in advance for the awkward title of this thread and the very novice questions I am about to ask. I have only had a kemper (toaster unpowered) for 2 months and have been loving it. I wanted to stream music and backing tracks through the kemper so I could play guitar along to them. I read a post on this site that explained how to do it so I got the dual 1/4 TS cable and plugged one in to phone and the other to RETURN and ALTERNATIVE IN. I did hear the music but it was being affected by the amp effects (delay, reverb etc) and sounded bad. I tried to do what the poster stated below:

"The Auxiliary Input function allows you to feed a stereo signal, such as a mp3-player, into your Profiler to play alongwith it. In the Output/Master menu, the Auxiliary Input function is equipped with three controls: one to feed the auxsignal to the main outputs as well as S/PDIF OUT, and two others to feed it to the Monitor and Headphone output.This allows you, for instance, to add an additional monitor signal to your headphone output, while the main outputstays unaffected. The auxiliary signal will not be affected by any internal effects.You will need to purchase a special cable which provides the stereo signal via two separate TS jacks. Plug the leftjack into the Return Input and the right jack into the Alternative Input. Use the "Aux In …" soft knobs to adjust thelevel.While you have an effects loop active in your Rig, or you are in Profiler Mode, the Auxiliary Input cannot be used,since the physical inputs are needed for a different purpose.Please do not forget to turn down Auxiliary Input volumes when you are not using it, to prevent unwanted hum andnoise."

I was not able to get this to work, but in the process I think I must have accidentally changed some other settings because now all my favorite profiles seem to have less gain! I am not sure what I did, and I know I did not save any changes in settings but it seems like this change in gain is staying, even after reboot. Is this due to something I may have changed in the output or input? I know that i did not change the gain of the actual profile and did not save any changes to any profiles. Sorry if this does not make any sense. I am such a noobie with all of this.

• Official Post

The Aux In signal is directly fed into the PROFILER outputs and isn't affected by any guitar effects and amp simulations.

What you describe is indicating, that you are have set up the sockets for ALTERNATIVE IN and/or RETURN for other purposes:

Check which Input Source is selected in the Input Section. While you are using Aux In, you cannot use ALTERNATIVE IN or RETURN as Input Source, but need to use Front INPUT instead, which si the default.

Make sure the Rig you use includes no effect loop. The effect loops use RETURN and ALTERNATIVE IN as their return inputs. And if you for example place a Loop Stereo in module X, the signal fed into RETURN and ALTERNATIVE IN runs through modules MOD, DLY and REV. As the text quote explains. avoid effect loops while using Aux In.