A Slightly Different Way (for me at least) of Creating and Using Profiles

• When I see talk of the Kemper Profiler and profiling in general it's usually based around the accuracy of how it creates profiles and of course that's as it should be. What I rarely or even never see discussed is how amazing the tools built into the Kemper OS can be not only with regard to refining these profiles, but in making some pretty big changes & transforming the profile into something new and, sometimes, even better - so that the actual profile is just the starting point. I mean, I get it it that the whole point of the profiling process is so that we can have digital versions of the amps we love and have them all in one place, with the ability to instantly recall them at the touch of a switch (or two).

But I believe that ending the discussion there kind of sells the Kemper short. Previously, but especially after the addition of Liquid Profiling, it's entirely possible (and easy) to craft an amp with the sound and feel of an amp we love but with some characteristics of another amp.

Here's an example - I have a Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 with a custom modification from Voodoo Amps that I really love. The mods are built around my playing style and feel, and it's just fantastic for me. I also, however, love the sound and feel of a cranked Plexi type amp - how the tone controls affect the tone of the amp when it's really cranked up.

A few days ago I wondered what it might sound like to graft the tone/gain stack of such a Plexi type amp onto my beloved DSL & then do some additional tweaking as I would in the control room of a studio; so I decided to give it a try and made a video of the process. I gotta say, it turned out even cooler than I'd hoped it would. It still has the underlying DNA of my DSL but it's also got the string clarity I get with a well tweaked Plexi as well as some of the squish while maintaining the balls, drive and girth of a modern 100 tube amp. I used it last night on a gig for the first time and it worked extremely well!

BTW - in the video I was kinda focused on a heavy kinda sound but this same technique (for lack of a better term - is this really even a technique?) can work with any type of sound while preserving the underlying tone of the original amp.

Check it out - see what you think. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.